Tamarindo and Samara


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After Liberia we headed to the west coast for some more picturesque beaches. First stop was Tamarindo, very nice beach and another place with amazing sunsets. The only problem was it was very touristy, with lots of American holiday makers which in turn made the place expensive. You can tell how much this place has changed in the last 2 years as the info in the lonely planet was very oudated and it looks like the place has at least tripled in size since the book was written. Going from the number of estate agents people are buying land up here fast. We had a look in some of the windows and you can buy some very nice places, 50,000 pounds for a 3 bed house on the beach, I Remember seeing at home that they wanted 75000 for a flat over Salford precinct, it’s just not the same!! I think the average in Manchester is probably 120,000 for a house for that you could buy a very nice place indeed! Makes you think!

One of the Main reasons to come here was to see the leatherback turtles that come to nest on the nearby beaches. We booked a tour which was fairly expensive for us 15 pounds. They pick you up at 10 and you go to the beach where they have been spotted and sit around until about 4am waiting for one to arrive and hopefully not bet eaten alive by two many mossies! There was a girl from our hostel who went the night before and was going again as she didn´t get to see any. The problem with the tour was that there was about 40 people and the rules are, that only 15 people can be close to the turtle when it´s laying eggs, because of this we were split into groups with the first group having the advantage as they get to see the first turtle. The people from the night before were prioritised and then in order of when you booked the trip. We were in the 2nd group and the guide explained that they have not seen any turtles for the last few days so with us being the second group were unlikely to see one but you never know when it’s down to nature. He gave us the option of either going and then returning the second night if we didn´t see any on the first night or get your money back. We decided to take our money and run! We were the only ones that did, such pikey travellers! We found out the day after that no Turtles came and that made it 4 nights on the trot, it is the last month of the season so suppose it was expected, so glad we got our money back and I bet the others wish they did, Suckers! And to top it off we also found out that the tourist hotels were charging the stupid tourist 25 pounds, nearly double what we paid! For some reason that made us feel even better!

After Tamarindo we headed south to another beach town, Playa Samara and this was more up our street because it was a lot cheaper, we only spent about 20 pounds a day, so saved a few quid! The beach here was also very nice and the water was so warm, the warmest sea water I think I have ever been in. The town itself was stil fairly toristy but a lot more chiled out as most of the tourists were Tico’s (Costa Ricans). At night there was a
A bag of sweets!!A bag of sweets!!A bag of sweets!!

Every girls Favourite sweet!!
great Pizza restaurant were we stuffed ourselves close to bursting pont and then headed to the beach bars and lounged around in hammocks or beach sofas drinking cocktails and chilling out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 102; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb