Nicaragua to Liberia, Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me Behind a waterfallMe Behind a waterfallMe Behind a waterfall

The water was freezing!
Getting to Costa Rica was easy enough no hassle at the border crossing and for a change the border area was closed off to the public so only people crossing was aloud inside, this made it a lot easier as you didn’t get the usually people pestering you to buy this, that and everything and money exchangers pestering you to change your old currency with them, it was all nice an orderly and reminded me a lot of when your in an airport.

A storey for you. As we were waiting for the bus to Liberia in Costa Rica. An American girl and English guy came over asking if we speak Spanish, so I pointed them to Michelle! They were a bit distressed, they had just put their bags into the luggage compartment on the bus and then were waiting to get on the bus, as they got to the driver he told them it was ticket only and they have to buy a ticket from the office first of all. So the guy ran to the ticket office to get a ticket and the girl waited at the bus. Before the guy had chance to come back the bus had driven off with their bags as he couldn’t be bothered waiting and the girl couldn’t do anything to stop him. This is every backpackers nightmare as your whole life is in your bag and if you lose it it very hard to replace and probably easier to go home and start again! They both tried talking to the guy at the ticket office but were getting no where as he had rapid Spanish and theirs was not good enough to understand. Then came Michelle to the rescue. She explained it to the guy and then he phoned the bus station where the bus was going and then she gave a description of thier bags and the station had them, the driver had took them to the office. So they left very happy in a taxi to get their bags. Michelle the life saver.

Our first stop was Liberia a city in the North of Costa Rica and close to Parque Nacional Rincon de La Vieja where we wanted to do some hiking, we still hadn’t learnt our lesson!
The hike was tiring but all on footpaths so easy to navigate around and we managed to walk about 20K on the first day and were constantly surronded by great views. The highlights of the trek were 2 waterfalls, very picturesque but very cold! I had to have a swim in both and pose for pictures but didn’t stay in to long, just enough to cool down from the walk. There were also some hot pools, where you could actually see the water boiling very angryily and it must have been very hot and had a fence around it to stop the stupid people from testing it out! There were also some hotsprings to soak in but we gave them a miss as it was hot enough walking about.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb