playa samara


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Guanacaste » Samara
December 11th 2009
Published: December 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not enough time in Samara.

We stayed at the Fenix hotel.

A small 6 room hotel but really it was more like staying with friends at their summer home on the beach. We wish we had by-passed playa grande and just came straight here for more time in Samara.

The pool was 2 meters from our front door, and we were right on the beach. The kids each found a hammock within minutes of arriving. The rooms have a full kitchen, separate bedroom for the adults, fabulous towels and everything clean, clean, clean.
Great place for a family to stay and feel comfortable. It gave us a taste of living at the beach.

Doug and Sophie had surfing lessons in the morning at Tico's and they guaranteed success.

Sure enough, within the 1 hour lesson they were both catching waves over and over. Of course I ran down the camera batteries and you have to take 20 shots to get one with them 'standing' on the board so I made a quick dash to the store for more.
Harry was still a bit groggy in the morning so I made him sit on the beach and just watch.

The same day in the afternoon we went on a kayak / snorkeling tour to the little island in the bay.
It took about 30-40 min to paddle there and then we snorkled for a few hours on the reef and paddled back.

Along the way we saw two turtles mating so we all stopped to watch, that was pretty cool, they were really big green turtles (maybe olive ridley but not leatherbacks).

They were just floating and flopping around on the surface like a big ball of turtles - no photo cause the camera was in the drybag on another kayak.

We saw lots of fish on the reef, great experience for the kids, but the most fun was the whole island was ''covered'' in crabs.

The kids had crab races, petted crabs, held crabs, so many different types, they had a blast.

I really loved the kayaking, that was my first time. It was a bit scary in the waves but really a good time.

Back to the hotel for another perfect sunset, it just doesn't get any better. We all fall into bed exhausted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

sophiesophie
sophie

asleep on the karaoke stage


13th December 2009

Thanks for the good review
I was debating on a day or two in Samara. Your comments are making me think I'll go.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb