the pig party


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela
December 15th 2009
Published: December 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back at Mike and Victoria's for the weekend then the trip would be over.

They have a great street with all the kids playing together and most of the neighbours get together for a party every couple of months.

One neighbour who raises pigs, provided the meat and the cooking skills to make chicharones (spelling?) for the pot luck. He brought a bucketful of pig parts and cooked them in a cauldron of oil until they're crunchy like bacon. They eat it with deep fried plantain and cooked yucca and salad. You can drizzle a mandarin over the meat and wrap it in a soft tortilla.

It wasn't my favorite food of the trip, chicharones probably are an acquired taste.

The kids had a ''Macarena'' contest.

It was definately the most challenging evening for spanish practice; once you're over the small talk and introductions it's not like I can casually chat about my views on politics or religion.

I was amazed at the kissing; everyone, even the littlest kids went one by one around the room kissing everyone hello and goodbye. Such a nice culture, friendly, welcoming and genuine.



We really had a true taste of costa rica for the time we had available....


although as we drove by Monteverde and the turnoff south towards Manuel Antonio we started planning for next trip....





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

canadian boyscanadian boys
canadian boys

Couldn't dance to the salsa so went looking for good ol rock and roll.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb