The Deepest Blue


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

An article in Travel and Leisure wrote about the places to see the bluest water in the world. I have my own choice, but here are theirs:



Crater Lake



The deep blue waters that fill the caldera of the sunken volcano Mount Mazama help make Crater Lake one of America’s most beautiful lakes. The deep blue waters are almost crystal clear thanks to the fact that there are no incoming streams or rivers to make the water turbid. All of this makes it ideal for scuba divers willing to brave the chilly water. Crater Lake, located in Southern Oregon, is also the deepest lake in the United States, plunging to depths of 1,943 feet, with sunlight extending 400 feet down.



This is a lake that I have best seen from above, on a flight to or from Seattle. We have also driven there on a car trip to Oregon some years back with our first dog, Buddy.



Other blues I have experienced, like on the Malaysian islands of Penang and Langkawi are also intoxicating. And so are the softer, more pastel blues of the Great Barrier Reef, and Torres del Paine (Chile). For other blues, go to Memphis.



Their other choices were equally good. But for me, the bluest of blues happened in Costa Rica, looking out from Monteverde to the Pacific Coast.

We were staying at a lodge near the top of Monteverde. Everyone goes there to see the tropical cloud forest, and to ride the best, and original ziplines through and over the forest canopy.



But one morning, standing on our patio deck, I looked west, all the way to the Pacific Ocean. I saw so many layers of blue, the deepest, richest blues I have ever seen. The photo above is not mine. Mine is actually better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb