Rainforests and Volcanos


Advertisement
Published: December 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

La Fortuna is a centre of Costa Rica’s eco-tourism. There is accommodation ranging from backpacker to sheer luxury (we are at the bottom end), restaurants and bars, and scores of tourist agents all selling the same range of tours. The one thing missing (at least now in early December) are the tourists. Here at the base of Volcan Arenal, an active volcano, there is hiking, kayaking, rafting and flying foxes.

We had a full day starting with a walk through rainforest over a series of suspension bridges; followed by a second, more strenuous, walk up the side of an extinct volcano whose crater is now full of water. The walk was full-on – steep and muddy. Jackson had a ball as he transformed into Bear Grylls leaping down the hillside, while his parents limped on behind on aging knees and jelly-like legs. It was a rainy/misty day which wonderfully accentuated the rainforest effect, but totally obscured the views of the volcano and crater. Wildlife spotted so far include numerous troops of leaf cutter ants, a red and black snake, colourful birds, a herd of adolescent tapir and a gaggle of pointy nosed mammal thingies.

We rewarded ourselves after the walks with a long soak at the Baldi Hot Springs. One of the pools here had a series of three water slides. Jackson tricked Andrew into going down the super-steep slide saying it was the easy one. Andrew’s screams rang out through the park, the life guards conspiring with Jackson thought it was a great laugh, and Andrew is still wearing bruises and green plastic from the side of the slide. (As an aside this was a slide that went 45km/hr which we think – hope would never be approved in Australia).

We also found a well maintained sports field in La Fortuna. Jackson made friends with Freddy, a 16 year old portador (goal keeper) – a perfect match for practicing Jackson’s striking.

We have mostly mastered the driving on the right side of the road gig – with only the odd drift across to the left. Roads are narrow and winding with one lane bridges and a lot of time spent behind slow moving trucks – reminiscent of driving in New Zealand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th December 2010

armchair tourist
oh my god. it looks fantastic. I want that bridge. I do NOT want that slide. Still keeping that scrapbook of Jackson's soccer spots? Happy belated birthday Andrew. Love the diversity of your reports back. Always interested in flora, fauna, touristy things and personal anecdotes.
11th December 2010

hey there amigos
hey Jenny and Andrew and Jackson, the star by the sounds of it! sounds like youre gettting a bit of footie in, how lucky and fun! looks great and wild with the 3 feet on the bridge. were all getting our wellies out and shaping up the decorations on the ark, in case we need to float out of here for christmas... no mostly queanbeyan, but the waters receding now. poor buggers, all those vegie gardens under water! tres dramatic for them i'd say... you look like youre enjoying the places thats good! have good weekend there, anyway talk to you again soon Rosie

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb