Day 10: Hot Springs and Cold Rain


Advertisement
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 10


I didn't need the alarm this morning; 06h15 and I was awake with cramp in my leg. This was a real pity as we were not setting off until 09h45!

After an uninteresting breakfast in the humidity of the open air, the heaven's opened, pouring vast quantities of rain over everything. However, although we were to have a long drive ahead of us, the morning would be spent in the setting of a rather exclusive hot springs.

Arriving at the anonymous large wooden gates, our guide uttered a few words into the intercom and the gates swung open. We drove down the long, narrow drive until we arrived at the pools. Taking our locker keys and a towel, we changed and headed into the trees. This exclusive club does no advertising and permits only 100 people on-site at a time; we had the place to ourselves!

The first pool was the coolest though still heated from the volcano (Arenal). Floating there in the rain for a while, we moved into the next, hotter, deeper pool. Again, just floating in the rain was most idyllic. Arriving in the third pool, the temperature was getting serious so, after some 45 minutes in total, we headed for the (honesty) bar for a cooling drink.

One dacquari later and it was back into the hottest pool with its massaging waterfall. The forest setting to this exclusive hot springs complex was superb and a delightful way to spend a couple of hours before the long journey to Monteverde relaxing and watching the hummingbirds.

Leaving the complex, we headed off across the Arenal Dam and began the long circumnavigation of Lake Arenal. Built in the 1970s, the resultant lake now provides 70%!o(MISSING)f Costa Rica's electricity, with the “waste” water providing irrigation in the more arid parts of the country.

Although not far (as the crow flies) there is no direct road to Monteverde and the 50km took some 4 hours over very bumpy roads, the weather becoming wetter and more windy the closer we got to the Pacific Coast. This region is known as the Cloud Forest for good reason; there is lots of cloud. The area is also home to a large Quaker community so, despite the rain, is mostly dry!

We arrived at our rather luxurious accommodation just as the sun was setting. Along with the luxury, the prices reflected the opulence. That said, we headed into town for our meal - in the rain!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb