On to Arenal Volcano


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Arenal
January 31st 2020
Published: February 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

We were now traveling from San Jose to the area of the Arenal Volcano that erupted suddenly in 1968 after being dormant for hundreds of years. Its last activity was in 2010. On our way we stopped at Sarchi, an artisan shop, where we had a chance to see the art work created and buy some locally made crafts. From there we continued on to Zarceri where we stopped at the San Rafael Church and its Topiary Garden. The church was simple inside and the topiaries were interesting.

Around noon we stopped at Cuidad Quesada for lunch at Pizza Hut. After eating we walked into the Cathedral while we were here. Again the church was very simple compared to other cathedrals we have visited. Our final stop was in La Fortuna, a village that was spared when the Arenal Volcano erupted to the west instead to toward the town to the east.

Our hotel, the Arenal Volcano Inn, was a short distance away. Each room was a separate building facing the volcano. Unfortunately it was shrouded in clouds. We had dinner with our tour group, getting to meet the new members of the group.

Tomorrow we will be going to the Cano Negro National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb