Swimming with Stingrays and Family . . .


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today Mom, Lee & I were adventuring in Grand Cayman. We went snorkeling at Stingray City, then to Rum Point Beach. What a chaotic yet wonderful day.

Normally tours run very smoothly. Unfortunately, today’s did not. First the buses were late picking us up. Half an hour we were left standing on the hot pavement waiting. Guests were already irritated. Later, there were problems with the boat; our driver hit the dock, then rocks. The coast guard came up beside us and boarded the boat. We were late returning to the island and therefore late back to the ship. The ship’s departure was delayed more than an hour because of our tour. Understandably, people were upset and bothered and irritated. But still . . . negativity just breeds negativity. And negativity was unescapable amongst the people we were touring with. I found it completely draining and so fraustrating. I just kept wishing they could look around and enjoy the positive points to the day. Because there were many . . .

I’d snorkeled with the stingrays last year when I was on the Legend, but I was excited to go again. This time, I got the feed them! They
Stingray City!Stingray City!Stingray City!

Swarming with tourists and stingrays.
smell out their food, they don’t see it. So you’d just hold a piece of squid under the water and suddenly a stingray would come swimming up to you. They’d hover over your hand for a moment and then - voom! - they’d just suck the piece of squid up! It’s like when your hand is held against a vacuum, but so much more sudden and far stronger. It was crazy but cool.

We got to hold stingrays, kiss them, have them rest on our backs. The stingrays were magical. The sun was shining. The water was warm and sparkly blue. I had Mom & Lee with me. Wonderful day.

After Stingray City, we headed back to the island, to Rum Point Beach. It’s a nice little spot of beach. Big huge shady trees line the beach. Beautiful and relaxing. A perfect little beach oasis. I explored the few shops there while Mom & Lee got something to eat.

Tonight we’re going to Supper Club, so I’m saving all appetite for tonight’s escargot and lobster and shrimp and chocolate trio dessert . . . The Destiny doesn’t have a supper club, so this has been one thing about the Liberty I’ve been especially excited about!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Captain LeeCaptain Lee
Captain Lee

Lee had mentioned to the captain that he boats. Then after hitting the rocks, Lee found himself driving the boat . . .


1st April 2008

Amazing Pics!
I am very jealous of your photos with your new friend. I have only seen rays while diving, but have never been that close! Sorry about the negativity. Glad you were able to pull out the good.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb