Fun in tha Sun - Belize


Advertisement
Belize's flag
Central America Caribbean » Belize
February 26th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tucked away between Mexico and Guatemala in Central America is Belize; although only 8,866 square miles this little jewel has a lot to offer. The following are five of the many magnificent places you can visit on a Belize Vacation. Each destination is easily accessible and is in close range of several Belize Hotels and Belize Resorts ran by friendly locals.

San Pedro Town
San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, also known as "La Isla Bonita" is the largest and most visited island in Belize. Located 36 miles northeast of Belize City, the island is easily accessible by either water taxi or airplane. This sandy and picturesque island has a population of approximately 8,000 people. Once a sleepy fishing village, this town has grown dramatically over the years with the fast progression of the tourism industry.

Caye Caulker
Located 21 miles northeast of Belize City and only 15 minutes from neighboring San Pedro, Caye Caulker is known for its cool, laid-back island life. With a population of approximately 1,200 people, the island appeals to visitors looking for a comfortable place to sleep, a white sandy beach, clear aquamarine waters, delicious seafood and friendly people. In contrast to bustling San Pedro just minutes away, Caye Caulker has maintained its cozy island appeal.

Hol Chan Marine Reserve
The Hol Chan Marine Reserve was established in 1987 as Belize's first Marine Park. The word Hol Chan in Mayan means, “little channel” and the reserve is on the cut, which is a break or quebrada in the reef. The reserve is located approximately 4 miles southeast of San Pedro, and about 9 miles northeast of Caye Caulker. The channel of Hol Chan is well known for large schools of fish including parrotfish, grouper and snapper, as well as green moray eels. The reserve is a popular spot for snorkelers and divers interested in seeing the colorful coral formations and large schools of fish.

Hopkins Village
The area is quiet, without crowds. The beach sand is golden brown, and swimming is good almost anywhere offshore. It’s possible to sit on the beach without sharing too much of the sun, as there are few people in sight. Pelicans and seagulls share the mood of peace and tranquility, yet action and adventure can be found nearby. The barrier reef is just thirty minutes away by boat, with even closer spots for snorkeling, fishing and diving. Glover’s Atoll is directly east of Hopkins. Thirty minutes in the opposite direction are options of moderate to strenuous hikes on jungle trails, waterfalls, and the only Jaguar Preserve in the world. Hopkins Day is also celebrated annually, with lots of food and entertainment. It is usually held in August.

Placencia Peninsula
Stretching 16 miles between the calm lagoons of Big Creek and the blue, choppy seas of south Stann Creek, the picturesque Placencia Peninsula is quickly becoming a premiere tourist destination in Belize. Located 100 miles south of Belize City, Placencia boasts the longest sand beach in the entire country. Dotted with quaint seaside resorts, guesthouses, hotels and restaurants, this once sleepy fishing village is now being recognized for its laid-back ambiance, breathtaking location, lush ecosystems and abundance of adventure-packed activities to experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb