Placencia Day #2


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lydia's HostelLydia's HostelLydia's Hostel

Our home away from home...
Woke up to another beautiful warm rainy day (everywhere we go, it rains & the locals say "it hasn't rained in so long, but there we are in the rain almost daily). I walked down to De Tatch restaurant & got a cup of coffee & they had cocoa so I added that. Best cup of coffee!

We bought some groceries at the local market & made breakfast at home. I had a delicious egg white sandwich on The Bakerman's bread with some cheese & lime flavored mayo & a little coleslaw.

Walked around town & checked out some little shops & went back to Lydia's to read & wait out the rain. Finally in the early afternoon the clouds parted & the sun came out & it was HOT! Yippee!! We went promptly to the ocean & poached some chairs that were for some cabanas on the beach. We read & relaxed & soaked up some rays. The water is so perfect & warm & there isn't a lot of seagrass here, just sandy bottom floor which makes swimming even better. We were sitting there enjoying our books when a woman yelled out "dolphins!" so we look up
To the BeachTo the BeachTo the Beach

From Lydia's
& about 100 yards off shore were 6-8 dolphins swimming around & doing their adorable little dolphin roll in & out of the water. Highlight of my day for sure. They are such beautiful creatures. We swam, took it easy & just enjoyed the day. After enough sun, we headed home, got cleaned up & sat on Lydia's porch. I talked with a brother/sister travel team from Canada about their adventures in Guatemala & they gave me all kinds of advice about visiting Tikal & gave us a list of names of hostels they enjoyed during their travels through the country. Always good to have an idea when you arrive in a new town.

While sitting on the porch another couple from the UK walked up & Nick was carrying a red snapper he had just caught off the beach. He said he just went out with his fishing pole & caught it in a few minutes, all after a few local guys told him no way he would catch anything. He was pretty stoked. We watched him clean it & they offered us the rest of their barracuda steaks from the fish he had caught the night before. They said we should cook it all up & eat it since it was already a day old. Twist our arm! So after they finished cooking up their snapper in the little kitchen we cooked up the barracuda. They had marinated the steaks in lime & fresh garlic. We grilled them on the stovetop & they were fantastic. It had meat like a halibut but juicier & tasted so fresh, you could taste the ocean. We ended up eating 3 large steaks between the two of us. Incredible!

With our full & happy bellies we headed off to bed after watching the stars come out. Lovely day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb