Passing through Belize City


Advertisement
Published: December 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We were up early to pack and leave Caye Caulker on the water taxi to Belize City. Whilst it was a bit windy, it was nice and sunny and we got great views of the islands we passed, including one that was just a house on stilts!



We arrived at Belize City to be greeted by lots of little shops people trying to sell us long distance express buses. If you wanted to get to Guatemala, it'd be no problem. As I was, we were quite keen on an express, air conditioned bus (we're not really adventurous when faced with a more comfortable bus!) and took one of them up on the offer. This saved us the walk to the bus station with our big bags, which we were able to leave. We had couple of hours in Belize City to explore. It was Sunday, so most shops were shut (including most places that might have sold us lunch on other days...) and it was generally very quiet. There's not a lot to recommend the place really - there is a church (cathedral) that looks like one you'd find at home, the old governor's house, and a building with a fancy clocktower. There's also a swing bridge across the river.



We finally found some lunch, in the shape of an English muffin, before getting on our bus to San Ignacio. We read later that you can't get one of these to San Ignacio, but we did, and were dropped off outside the French bakery, although it's not clear that you can get one going the other way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb