Takin it easy in Belize!!


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

the blue holethe blue holethe blue hole

from above
Belize... official language; English... yey. No more ..gracias, por favor, hola, cervesa etc..

When we passed through the border, it was so exciting seeing all the signs in English.. and getting our Belize dollars, they even had old Lizzy on them.
We went straight to Belize City and from there took a ferry to Caye Caulker.. one of the many Cayes in Belize.. and it was like paradise.

A really chilled out island, with not many tourists, white sands, blue seas.. just beautiful.
We spent our time chilling at ends of piers.. swimming, snorkeling.. and eating to local jerk chicken with rice n beans...

We went snorkeling around the Caye, and were swimming with loads of Sting Rays, they were really close and was great to see (the guide was feeding them with sardines tho.. ).
One of the reasons I was sooo excited about coming here was the world famous ´Blue Hole´. An under water cave, with stalagtites/mites and loads of sharks!! So, I went on a blue hole diving adventure.. The hole is 2 hours away from Caye Caulker.. so the boat left at 6.30am, and the trip out there was very very rough, people throwing up over the edge of the boat, it was choppy the whole way there.
When we got there.. the guy was like we are here...no time to think about it before my wet suit and tank etc was on, and I was in the water.. it was a 42m quick descent into the blue, about half way down it became really, really cold, we quickly swam to the stalags, which were huge, bigger than people. It was all very interesting, but the best bit was when I saw about 20 sharks circling above my head, with my track record of nitrogen narcosis I wasn't sure I was imagining it.. but they were real, we got to hang there for a while and watch them swim around us. They were huge and did look like killer sharks, it was amazing, really.

After this we did another 2 dives, and saw loads more.. including rays and turtles. We also had lunch on a tropical island.. with just us divers on and noone else. Got to see some red footed boobies here.. I also had an accident, after surviving swimming with sharks.. I was left toenail less on one of my toes
Waiting for the water taxiWaiting for the water taxiWaiting for the water taxi

we like waiting.......when the sea is that close!
after ripping it off while stubbing it on a tree root! It was very painful. I'm just hoping it grows back soon.. in time for shoe shopping in NYC.

We had had our tarots read the day before and there was no mention that I would be having a serious life threatening accident, the same day I swam with sharks.. But she did say lots of other interesting stuff...especially for Lo.

After spending a few days here we went to Ambergris Caye, la isla Bonita (from the Madge song) and it was very beautiful, a bit busier and more built up than Caye Caulker, but beautiful all the same.
We wondered around aimlessly for a day or so, with out a care in the world!
Sadly we need to leave the island, but happily.. we are going to Mexico.... mmm corona,


Take care, Love Hayley and Laura xxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ray Ray
Ray

in the crystal clear waters
LauraLaura
Laura

Snorkeling with rays
deserted islanddeserted island
deserted island

2 hours from anything..
the blue holethe blue hole
the blue hole

from sea level.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb