Not Really Caye Caulker but...


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get out a new journal entry, we have been traveling A LOT over the last few days and i have been too tired to find a place to use the internet. So the night we spent in flores was really cool, found a place to have happy hour 2 beers for like 2 dollars we went to a club and did a little bit of dancing and people watching which was pretty enjoyable. but not as enjoyable as watching mike david get hit on by a dude!!! went to bed around 3am and had to wake up for the long bus ride back to belize city. After the four hour ride to belize city, we finally got out to the cayes -pronounced key- and found a place to stay. the island was beautiful, crystal clear water and so small that there weren't any cars on the island, only golf carts, reminded me of the river on a busy weekend. We thought about trying to get certified to dive but found out that its really expensive, like 400 dollars, plus 200 per dive. so we decided to go snorkeling instead for about 20. we saw lots of really colorful fish and got to swim with some really bit stingrays and nurse sharks, really cool experience. After a few days we were tired of spending so much money in belize so we set out to get down to honduras as fast as possible. We left caye caulker and got to belize city on wednesday morning. left belize city and took the local bus down to punta gorda -still in belize but much slower then the direct- had to stay a night in punta gorda which wasn't that bad since we got a really nice hotel there for like 15 dollars a piece and had a real nice dinner there as well. woke up on thursday and left punta gorda and took a ferry to puerto barrios in guatemala, from there took a bus to the border of honduras and then had to hop off and get on the local bus to another small town in puerto cortes. I'm learning to hate border crossings, you get totally ambushed by people trying to sell you money and giving you misleading information. so took a local bus that stopped in every house in this small town to pick up people and take them like 10 minutes down the road. very frustrating and very hot. so finally got to pureto cortes and had to instantly hop on a bus to san pedro sula, this bus had a\c but was totally cramped, i had to sit with my bag between my legs and next to a few people who didn't smell so good. from san pedro sula we got on a bus to la cieba which we ended up staying the night in, all and all we traveled the better part of two days with stops to sleep, we really haven't even been eating that much mostly bannanas and chips and stuff like that. finally got to where we are now, in the bay islands of honduras after taking the ferry this morning. we have already decided to stay here for a few days before repeating the process again to go down to nica. honduras is super cheap, we had a meal in a nice resturant last night and only paid like 13 dollars each, beers are like a buck and the travel is pretty cheap but takes a long time. Probably send some pics of the festival thats going on right now when we go out there tomorrow.

hope you feel better dad!!!!

Mike

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb