Day 27 Belize here we come


Advertisement
Published: November 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Up at 4.30 (our earliest start so far) and checked into the airport where we payed a stupid hidden "leaving the country" fee. Caught a freezing cold plane to El Salvador, waited an hour, caught an even colder plane to Belize City and finally we made it! Whipped through customs and caught a taxi to the boat terminal. As our boat headed towards Caye Caulker, it was truley like arriving in heaven. The rickety jetty dropped onto white sands backed by amazingly colourful buildings, palms swaying and no cars but only golf buggies. The island motto here is "Go slow" and we were definately looking forward to fitting in!

After checking out a few hostels, we settled for Tinas Backpackers which was right on the beach, painted in bright bright blue and orange, filled with swinging benches, hammocks and a sandy garden. The receptionist guy was questionably flamboyant and floated from room to room, not really answering our questions, just showing us "this is a chair" and " this is a kitchen which you can use. but only some times." or rubbish like that... but he was .. fun. We chose a corner private room which was pink! and the window looked out onto a jetty over the sea through palms. Sounds so cheesey but it was like constantly being in a postcard!

Had a brief nap, then headed out to find some food. We ended up in Bamboo bar which had wooden swinging bar stools, a good menu and quite a few people so we ordered shrimp and lobster bites and breaded chicken! Yum!! After a few drinks, some Auzzies started talking to us who were lovely. They ended up sitting with us and gradually others joined us which was really fun. We met an old man travelling with his daughter (lucky girl!!!), and many others including a weird guy from North Carolina who seemed to take a shining to Em. THANKFULLY tasha was SUCH a good friend and made the situation SO comfortable..."Ryan, kiss Emily on the cheek for a photo, I bet she´d love that!!" all the while Em thinking up ideas of how to get her back. The cold shoulder worked well enough and after a bit of sulking he got the idea to back off!!! Went back to the hostel where some guys jumped into the very shallow water off the pier (not a good idea we were nagging) and the sky was just filled with stars, there was no light pollution here it was amazing!! Stayed up a while then hit the sack, exhausted!! Our Auzzie friends were leaving the next day which was sad, but lucky for Em, north carolina weirdy was around for a few more days...! blurrrrrgh!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb