Seeing is Belizing!!


Advertisement
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So Belize was a short but sweet trip, with us only spending about 5 days there.
We travelled from Flores in Guatemala, a trip that took us a long time, cramped in another bus, with yet another annoyingly difficult border crossing. This time after asking at least 3 sets of people if we needed any money to cross and being told no each time we tried to cross the border with no money.
Only for us to find out that we did need money and then they refused to let Luke cross (they had already stamped my passport so technically I could leave.)
After lots of arguing and begging, they finally let us cross, taking some random US dollar noted we managed to find.
So we headed straight for Belize city, and hopped onto the Caye Caluker (pronounced Key Corker) express boat.
We had planned to do some snorkelling and maybe some diving, but needless to say once you look at the pictures below you'll understand exactly why we didn't do much of anything.
All we can say about Belize was it was gorgeous and amazing, we met some lovely people and we enjoyed the sun (if not a little too much with us both burning from head to toe on the first day.)
We hung out on the spilt sunbathing during the day the ate lobster and mashed potato at night from a place called Jolly Rogers and if anyone ever thinks of going we both reccommened these things to do!
We loved it so much, we just wished we'd had longer. Maybe next time.

So after Belize it was time to head back to Mexico, first stop Tulum.
Tulum was gorgeous, and on the way we bumped into Mariska and Anton who we had met in Guatemala and on Caye Caulker and we spent a few days with them. We saw the ruins of the Mayan temple overlooking the idilic Mexican shore line and we spent a few days doing what we do best, sunbathing.
It may sound bad, but we needed a week of relaxing to get over the non-stop travelling we had been doing over the last few weeks.
Tulum has one of the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen, so we made the most of it.
Finally we finished off Mexico with 3 days in the overcrowded and overdeveloped Playa Del Carmen then topped that off with our final day in the even more horrid resort of Cancun, please someone explain to us what people find appealing about overcrowded crappy beaches, with dirty sand and overpriced bad restaurants?
But other than those last few days our whole experience in Central America was over far to quick, but now its time to move on and try and get into the real world.
Our only advice to others is stick to Tulum its paradise, oh and definately DON'T bother with the Bamba Bus, its way more trouble than its worth!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb