Caye Caulker - Diving the Blue Hole


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Blue HoleBlue HoleBlue Hole

Blue Hole: Aerial view of the 400-ft-deep oceanic blue hole (Lighthouse Reef Atoll Blue Hole) located east of Belize. I didnĀ“t take this but stole it off the web so you get some sort of idea!
From Orange Walk we headed towards the coast to spend some time on the Caribbean Island of Caye Caulker. For topping up the tans and chilling out on the beach and to dive the famous Blue Hole. We have heard of how good the diving is in Belize as it has the second largest Barrier reef in the world so have been looking forward to it.

It was a great experience but very expensive about 100 quid for 3 dives! The first of the dives, the Blue Hole, A sinkhole in the middle of the reef 122m deep and 303m wide. We dove to about 55m the deepest we have ever dove before so we were a bit nervous. This has got to be the best dive we have ever done, it was amazing. Lots of underwater caves complete with stalactites and loads of dark nooks and crannies, very eerie, you will have to go on the net to see how amazing it looks (www.ambergriscaye.com ). We also did some snorkeling; Shark & Ray alley was brilliant, as the name suggests it was full of stingrays and nurse sharks, all pretty friendly brushing up against you. There must have been about 20 sting rays swimming around us at one point and feeding on the dead fish people were throwing in off the boats. Michelle was a bit nervous after what happened to Steve Irwin. No problems he must have been very unlucky and met a very pissed off one.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb