Wildlife Reserve and Grenade Hall then Oistins for Tea


Advertisement
Barbados' flag
Central America Caribbean » Barbados
August 11th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Did lots today - particularly as Matthew was really complaining about his ears and had had a very troubled night. We went to the Barbados Wildlife Reserve which has a mix of indigenous and imported animals but is known the world over for it's green monkey population. We arrived earlyish and it was hot - tropical hot (though Catherine has adjusted to the point she thinks it was just comfortable... wait until she goes home!).

We paid the entrance with Cash(just) as they don't take Credit cards and went inside. You are immediately aware of how many tortoises there are... you have to be careful not to trip over them. When we were here 12 years ago I'm sure there weren't so many.. but after seeing what most of them were upto I can see why there are so many of them!

We toured the reserve but the only monkeys we saw were either with us or in a cage. We sat down and had a drink in the same cafe we had used 12 years previously - except the fish tank was now empty and it was closed (so we got the drinks from the entrance). As we were thinking of leaving a tremendous screeching was heard - the monkeys had arrived. There seemed to be hundreds of them in at least a couple of troops which were fed in different places. We followed the monkeys and could get incredibly close to them - probably closer than was really safe. The teeth on show in the picture are actually when the monkey yawned we were boring him that much!

Afterwards we went to Grenade Hall and went round the last remaining tropical rain forest on the island... hot hot hot... Then over the road to Farley Park another abandoned great hous turned into a national park back in 1966. A group of kids were having a birthday party here - Deryn and Caolin note the donkey!

We then went back to the villa for yet another swim and then went to the fish fry at Oistins (or Chicken fry for those who dont eat fish). Mafs was tired and his ears hurt so we didn't stay long - but the fried fish was some of the freshest and best I'd ever had - and all for $20 BDS.






Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Torty OrgyTorty Orgy
Torty Orgy

Doing what tortoises need to do...


21st January 2012

wildlife reserve
We were at the reserve just last year. The animal you are looking for is a Pantagonia Mara
18th August 2012
Large Rabbit Deer?

Large Rabbit Deer
That ''rabbit deer'' is actually a rodent called a mara. It is related to the guinea pig, and has a large communal burrow system. Look on google images at ''mara animal'' to see it.
10th January 2013
Large Rabbit Deer?

Patagonian Hare
These animals are not part of the rabbit family but are rodents. They are called Mara or Patagonian Hares. They live much like a rabbit does though so they look and act a bit like rabbits.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb