Out and about


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

25th August - breakfast at Horizons today and then pick-up the car. Not surprisingly its a Toyota Corlla - about a 10 year old one with very little suspension but for about £30 a day I can't complain.

Catherine had booked a packed lunch which we picked-up - its a great idea as we can go out for the whole day and then come back for the evening meal.

Today we went to the Animal Flower Cave in St. Lucy - went swimming in the cave and then travelled over to Farley Park for lunch which has stunning views of the East coast. One of my favourite places on the island as you get a lovely breeze - and the Wildlife reserve is on the other side of the road (14:00 is the best time for the monkeys...)

We travelled down the East coast and stopped a couple of times to take pictures. Picked up a Geocache at Barclays Park and left our 2012 Travelbug - then contiued down the East coast to Bathsheba - where a funeral was going on which seemed to attract people from villages all around. Then a very scenic drive through the centre of Barbados past sugar canes fields and sugar mills. At this time of year very green, very lush.

Back to the Village and into the pool for a swim and a couple of Banks's. Then shower and change and onto Enids for dinner. A couple had just got married and were having their bridal dinner in Enids - the bride looked lovely in her dress and we shook hands with the groom. After dinner back to the room and we played a quick hand of Rummikub.

26th August - Reef for breakfast and then picked up our lunch basket from the Horizon restaurant - lots of sandwiches, fruit and cookies plus 5 soft drinks and 5 waters - I could hardly carry it all! We've also booked fishing (big fishing...) for Tuesday morning (its a 6.15 am. start that will be a bit of a shock to the system...).

Today we are going to swim with the elusive turtles - our 3rd visit to Barbados and we are getting closer to them after seeing one on the South Coast. We could have an organised trip from the hotel which at 60 BD each works out at £100 or we could take the car round to Six Men - park and then swim out to where the hotel boat takes people (and use the binoculars to check on location). Guess which we did?

We parked on the pavement near a bus stop. Crossed the road and walked along the beach. We could see the glass bottomed boat from the hotel and its 60 BD a head passengers about 70 to 100 yards off shore. We slowly swam out with the bread we had brought from breakfast. As we approached the boat a "Turtle" was suddenly heard - I think from Eleanor or Matthew. As we got closer so did the turtle - I think Matthew had his hand on the back of one at one point - I hope the video he took shows this.

We stayed out for a quite a while - Eleanor had her float - we'd brought a big inflatable but in reality we ended up just dragging it around. The glass bottomed boat left and other boats arrived. Eventually we headed back to the shore.

Very enjoyable - then lunch back at Farley Park - why not it's a lovely spot.

We then headed back to the Almond Beach Village as we have a plan for the evening - Oistins Fish Market. SO we swam, had a quick beer, showered and then went to the Reef Courtyard which serves "childrens" food from 5.30 to 8.00 - so chips, home made pizza (which is absolutely gorgeous), salad, burgers.... you get the picture. Oh and the ice-cream machine is working fine so a few Mr. Softys all round. Then into the car and down to the bottom of the island for the Oistins fish fry... took about 45 minutes to drive... on roads that could do with some pot hole filling - though we can talk.

It's now on the sea side of the road. Nice stalls and things - some great street entertaintment and starting to get quite lively by 9 when we left. As Lexies - one of the bars stays open 24 hours a day I can image it gets quite lively by 2 in the morning!

Back to the hotel - drinks from the bar and yep more Rumikub - I write this to the sound of gentle snoring from a couple of members of the party...Actually its getting quite noisy now!

27th August - Phone wasn't on quiet so someone phoned at about 6.45 am. and left a message. As I'm having trouble picking these up here in Barbados if you need me then send me a txt...




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb