Argh - I'm a Pirate


Advertisement
Published: August 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Woke up on the 21st to bright blue skies - lovely and hot.

Popped down to the lobby and updated the Travelblog. Then into Enids for breakfast - thought I'd have an omlette which was a good idea but hand-made to Caribean time. Starting to adjust to both the pace and time. Didnt wake up until about 7 am. which was great.

This morning we played golf - which was supposed to be a 3 par course (maybe for professionals) - we managed one 3 between us - boy was it hot! Saw some monkeys at one point. We also played with Cayman balls - first shot straight in the lake! But we finished the day with 7 more than we started so plenty for next time! The best bit was when Catherine brought out cold beer - heaven.

Popped into the gym - which was cool (cold) and Matthew benchpressed about 270 (lbs or kg) don't really care it's a lot. Then back to the room for a quick change so we could go in the pool and cool off. In the pool - out of the pool - barbecue lunch - in the sea - over to the watersports centre (which was shutting down even though it was only 15:30)

Then we came back to the room and showered changed and went to Enids for dinner. Food was good - 3 courses A la Carte - finished off with a Bajan Coffee which seemed to be spirits and a little bit of coffee. After Enids we came back and played some Rummikub and played the lets keep mummy awake game... which went on for a while.

22nd August - was a lovely day - we went to the Reef for breakfast which was lovely as it overlooked the sea. We then went to the watersports centre and hired a pedallo and kayak. Nice kayak. The people at the watersports centre were very friendly even if they did support Manchester United. Catherine thought they might be students.

Took some good pictures out at sea (under the water) and some video. Dr. Sam gave us some Aloe Vera for our sunburn - even though we aren't sunburnt. I got him a glass of cold water.

Had lunch at the Reef courtyard - and the barbecue was on so we had burgers - one of us and it wasn't Matthew slowly munched his way through 2 burgers. At 3 we then went over to the Almond Beach club which is an adult only place (we pretended Matthew was an adult - which was difficult). Funny place - not the sort of place I'd ever want to stay I think - but it was clean and antiseptic. No children - bizarre. We changed in the Spa and then went for a swim - changed back in the Spa, had a few drinks and then caught the bus back. There wasn't much of a beach here at all.

We had booked La Smaritta the Italian for 6.30 and again it was an adult only place. Matthew was an adult. Food was incredible and it was air conditioned which was a bonus. I had a Beef Carpaccio starter, followed by Beef Strips and a lovely dessert - oh and a never ending wine glass... it was like Jesus was serving me it always seemed to be full. After dinner we rigged up the DivX player and watched the Expendables or went to sleep depending upon your want.

23rd August - breakfast at the Horizon and it was raining - and I mean really raining this time. What does a pirate in pain say? - "Arghhhh" - It was funnier at the time. We came back to the room and picked up the volleyball - playing in the pool near us. We slowly moved through the pools until we were back by the one by the Reef courtyard as the pool was empty. We were planning on going to the Almond Casuarina at 1 pm. so had a quick lunch before we went - we could always have some more food at the other end - we are never short of food - food parcels are not required. Bus ride took about an hour and was much busier than I expected. The bus was so busy they had to pull down the middle seats for people to sit on.

The Almond Casuarina is very tropical a lot of it seems to be built in a rain forest - a nice beverage bar with a bigger ice cream machine - so I imagine it never runs out. We got changed and went in the sea - Christopher saw a turtle and we hopefully have pictures of it and video. Its lovely sand there and easy to get towels from the Watersports centre - asked the Jet Ski guy how much and it's a special of 50 US dollars for 1/2 an hour... we'll see what they are back at the Almond Beach.

Booked into Horizons for 9.00 pm. which is late so I'm expecting snoring at the table coming from one of the party. We took the bus back in the dark and a couple were coming from the Casuarina to eat at the Smaritta - he only had shorts on - oh dear... we offered him a pair of trousers later in the evening but they had already eaten at the buffet in Enids - coudnt get the netbook to connect to the lobby WiFi tonight - not sure why? I'll have to use the laptop to upload the pictures anyway as it has the image resizing software.

Food at the Horizons was good as were the cocktails beforehand - Tom Collins and Almond Breeze... we've had enough food. Video from the underwater camera has come out really well - including the turtle. We'll need to get some batteries at the rate we are using it.

Came back to the room and played a hand of Rummikub - while certain people got sand in the bed...

Bed a little earlier @ 10.30 ish - room temperature now up to 20 C - so Catherine only wrapping herself 4 times in the cover.

24th August - breakfast back at the Reef and re-wrote the last couple of days of the blog as I'd lost it... notepad overwriting later versions if more than one copy open -oops. We also seem to have misplaced the volleyball but not that much of a problem as we still have the football.

Catherine has also sussed the washing machine - via Guest services which we think is round the back of the Kids club.

Over to the North bar to play volleyball with the football in the pool - me I'm sitting in the shade writing the blog having a beer - heaven.

I'm reading Jack Kerouac - "On the Road" on the Kindle and his writing style is very unique. I'd probably call it chain of consciousness but theres nothing re-written so all the soul is taken out of it.

Lunch back at the Reef courtyard and then Eleanor had 4 braids put in her hair. Squash from 3 to 4 - managed to go with one squash ball and came back with 3! Golf balls knocked them off... then shower/clean and down for the beach barbecue - which was very impressive. They had literally transformed the beach and put tables (including clothes) all over them. Food was again excellent - then we took some dark pictures (with torchlight accompanment). Back to the lobby and then Rumikub and sleep... night folks.
















Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.2mb