Taste of Bahamas


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

J and I, the two sea food lovers, would not miss any opportunities to sample local cuisine while in Bahamas. It was our mission to search for authentic restaurants in Nassau.

The Poop Deck Restaurant
A casual water front fine-dining experience. We couldn't resist the "catch of the day", red snapper. Basically, you can choose the cooking method: grilled or steamed. We chose grilled red snapper since neither of us like steamed fish with tomato sauce. For dessert, we had "guava duff". It tasted almost like bread pudding but mixed with guava pulps. It was good; however, too sweet for me.

The Fish Fry
A strips of restaurants located between Cable beach and Nassau downtown. We went to "Sea Food Heaven"and "Twin Brothers". Loved "conch chowder", "conch fritters", "conch salads", "cracked conch", steamed groupers, fried red snappers....... the thick strawberry and mango daiquiris at Twin Brothers was very very refreshing. Consider how expensive meals are in Paradise island, Fish Fry is the place to eat if you don't want to break your bank.

Conch, conch, conch and more conch
We just couldn't get enough conch. What is conch anyway? It is a type of ocean mollusk.
Under the
Grilled Red SnapperGrilled Red SnapperGrilled Red Snapper

Grilled red snapper served with veggies and peas and rice (Bahamian for beans and rice)
bridge that connects Paradise Island and Providence island is the local fish and produce markets filled with food stands. We stopped by "McKenzie's" for lunch one day. It is a very unique "dinning" experience. We shared our table with two locals, and this was where we discovered "Nassau Stadium",where you can find traditional Bahamian breakfast. On a hot day in June, a fresh prepared conch salad with ice cold Kalik (Bahamian beer) was a wonderful treat.

Nassau Stadium
On the very last day of our trip, we stopped by "Nassau Stadium". (Be warned: this place is probably for adventurous taste buds only). There was no such thing as menu at this place. Our waitress ordered "Boiled Fish" and "Stewed Fish" for us. Wow..... very unusual but tasty dishes to jump start our day ! We were also told that no Bahamian breakfast is completed without a hunk of Johnny Cake. The light sweetness of the cake in combination with the saltiness of boiled fish/stewed fish created the perfect harmony. Let me just say, "Johnny Cake" was so yummy that we ordered some more to take with us for our flight home.

Beverages
Bahama mama, coconut water with coconut
Dessert-Guava DuffDessert-Guava DuffDessert-Guava Duff

It tasted almost like bread pudding but added with guava pulps.
rum, pina colada.......need I say more?

Taste of Bahamas: our mission accomplished!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Boiled FishBoiled Fish
Boiled Fish

Made with onions, potatoes and grouper fillets with light taste of lime
Stewed FishStewed Fish
Stewed Fish

Cooked in flour-based gravy


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb