Where you can just Day Dream: Pink Sand Beach


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Harbour Island is my favorite excursion in Bahamas. It is an out island just one mile off the northern coast of Eleuthera. It is about 2.5 hours ferry ride from Nassau. The island is so small, 3 mile long, 1 mile wide that the best way to explore its charming landscape is by golf-cart!

Harbour island is famous for the "Pink Sand Beach". Why is it pink? This is what I found after consulting google: the beach's pink color comes from microscopic coral insects called Foraminifera. With bright pink or red shells, they thrive underneath reefs, on sea floors, beneath rocks and caves. Foraminifera wash up on shore when waves or fish knock them loose.

The beach was light pink. The water was crystal clear with mixed of deep blues. There were very few people on the beach. No wonder it has been voted to be one of the most romantic beach in the world. This is the place where you throw away all your troubles, throw away the reality and just embrace the sun, the sand, the wave, the ocean..... Before we departed Harbour island, we grabbed a handful of pink sand, carefully stored it in a jar. Now, I can still enjoy a tiny piece of Pink Sand Beach at home.

Words just can't adequately describe this beauty. Enjoy the pictures.
.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st September 2008

pretty
Thats so cool that the sand is actually pink. It looks like a great place to visit. I like the pictures!

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb