Irish Men


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, i will now pause and allow everyone 5 minutes to get out all of the gay jokes in their head about the title of this blog.

Irish men age 30 and older:

I've grown to respect a lot of Irish men in this country. I think the men here have a bad rap about being mean ol drunks or just drunks in general, but such is not the case. For sure there a few who are blackout, messed up dolts, like our neighbor Fergal or me friday night, but they're are a lot of what we like to pretend we are back home, "men."

Irish men like to sit down and have 6 or 7 pints and spill their guts about life. Most people who start drinking at 5pm at age 30 or older usually have a sad side story and in these cases there have been no exceptions. One thing i've learned about these men is that they all seem to be on good terms with their wives or ex wives. They support their children financially, physically and lovingly wether they are weekend dads or still living at home with them. They don't complain and they have honest, open emotions about who they are and what they've done be it good or bad. Even the ones who have been taken to the cleaners from their wives, jobs, bad luck or their own idiot actions, seem to own up and take responsibility for it. And please understand that some men under 30 are pretty good guys, like Rob and Carl, but there are still those that haven't had their share of life yet.

Many people would argue the point, "well their drunks or they drink their pain away." This is true, but if you're honest with yourself, the people around you and you do all the other right things that bring you as close to being a stand up man, aren't you entitled to deal with yourself the way you see fit as long as it isn't at the expense of others?

Think about all the times deadbeat dads and alcoholic fathers take their emotions and shortcomings in life out on their children. Think about how many divorced or broken hearted men complain, whine and blame their ex significant others or kids for their rotten lots in life. Think about all the dads in the world, especially in the states who don't or won't pay child support or don't even pick up their phones to call their fucking kids on their birthdays.

Each situation deserves it's own set of rules, investigation and due and i am definitely guilty of generalizing here, but i also think i am onto something. I may give Ireland a lot of shit for it's grizzly weather, lack of pretzel related snacks and no ranch dressing, but i will give the men of this country and the parents that raised them their credit, they have some fine, stand up guys over here, and i wish a lot of the people back home could've had fathers like them.

Advertisement



22nd October 2008

update your thing!
18th February 2010

US fathers.
About the comment of state fathers. I only know of the ones your talking about. Those that take care of their families. But maybe its because I'm lucky enough to be a of Irish decent. My dad who works his ass off every day who is 6'3 strong guy generally wouldn't harm a fly. His name is Robert to and being named after such a great guy honors me. No one that I know or who knows my father can say a bad thing about him. So I suppose what I was trying to say is if you take a closer look. There are I'd say a lot more American fathers that take care of their families. Than the American fathers that do not take care of their families.

Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb