Return to Tajikistan


Advertisement
Asia
May 27th 2016
Published: May 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Ed presenting pruners to one of the groupsEd presenting pruners to one of the groupsEd presenting pruners to one of the groups

a typical final picture after a 2 hr orchard management class
Last Friday we left for a return trip to Tajikistan. Fortunately we had good connections, but it is still far! A short flight to Seattle, then a 10 hr flight to Amsterdam, a delayed 5 hour layover, and then a 3 hr flight to Istanbul. Fortunately we had scheduled to overnight in Istanbul which has quickly become one of our favorite cities!



We stayed in our favorite Hotel Nena and thoroughly enjoyed our time just roaming the streets. Hotel Nena's rates were heavily discounted and then they upgraded our room with a beautiful view of the Blue Mosque. Unfortunately it is an indicator how hard Turkey has been hit with a substantial drop in tourism.



People we spoke to all stated business is bad, there are no tourists. And we heard little western languages in the streets. Thankfully, we only had one political discussion with a gentleman very concerned of the chances Trump might be elected. We assured him, Americans are smarter than that. And we sure hope we are correct!



Arriving in Tajikistan, we are working with the same extentionists. Both of us could not believe how quickly and comfortably we
Women's groupWomen's groupWomen's group

And a typical picture of one of the women's groups. Yes, that is me in my new Tajik fashion.
settled in, much credit to the very warm welcome! This time, Ed and I have separate sandboxes. He will be working with Muzafar with the men's groups out in the fields. I will be working with Nagis with the women's groups.



Both Muzafar and Nagis have been doing this for multiple years so are experts as extentionists. Basically we start a direction, and then they translate and elaborate on it. Definitely speaking any Tajik or Russian would help with a better understanding. But this time we understand that a major part of this program is informational, but also in the social exchange.



The days are hot, 100 degrees, with up to two hours of driving to reach some of the groups. Turnouts are very good with at least 15-20 people in each meeting.



Nagis is just starting a new program so some of the groups she is meeting for the first time. Despite the language barriers there is always lots of good humor. The Tajik women all wear the long pantsuit and after one day of very hot sitting on the floor in my western skirt, I went to the market
Pruned fruit treesPruned fruit treesPruned fruit trees

It was encouraging to see pruned trees
and bought a pantsuit, so I too could sit like a Tajik woman. Much more comfortable!



We are now in Dushanbe, the capital, for the weekend. It is alittle cooler here, but right now it is late afternoon and we are in our air conditioned hotel, waiting for it to cool down before we wander the streets. Hence the long blog. Interesting, we are not able to access Facebook, but everything else with the Internet is fine. Not sure why.



Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone. It looks like it should be a beautiful weekend in Boise!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

HarvestingHarvesting
Harvesting

And tall trees make harvesting difficult. Trees are being shook and the sheet collects the fruit.
Starting them earlyStarting them early
Starting them early

Although the young boy was abit afraid of the loppers after he saw what they did to the tree branches...
lots of bread for sale at the marketlots of bread for sale at the market
lots of bread for sale at the market

Tajikistan has the best bread!! All sizes and varieties and a meal is never complete without it.
Beautiful  designsBeautiful  designs
Beautiful designs

Many of the bread have different sizes and designs. Some specially made for weddings, celebrations, others for daily eating.
Delicious rhaspberriesDelicious rhaspberries
Delicious rhaspberries

The fruit is just beginning to ripen.
Elevator in our hotelElevator in our hotel
Elevator in our hotel

Not sure if pic will show, but the last number is 5.... so we had to go to floor 5. It was the basement....
Loved the name of our plane to Dushanbe!Loved the name of our plane to Dushanbe!
Loved the name of our plane to Dushanbe!

There actually is a city in Turkey called Batman


28th May 2016
Women's group

Women's Group
Love to hear all about your adventures!! The color looks so beautiful on you, Michele!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb