Going on a Tiger Hunt


Advertisement
Asia
January 7th 2014
Published: January 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5.45am for a shower and breakfast ready to head out for our safari at 7am. The fog was thick and cold and we were dressed up for the low temperature with layers of merino, jackets and pashminas but we were still not prepared for open top jeeps with seats that were totally wet and cold. The hotel provided blankets and we bravely set off. Very quickly we were frozen but when we got to the national park the jeep slowed to a better speed and it got a wee bit warmer. First we saw the banyan tree which has special significance in India and is known as a holy tree for Hindu. We saw sambar deer and peacocks and lovely birds that are semi-tame as they get fed by tourists. We were rather cynical about seeing a tiger but played the game while the guide stopped the jeep to listen for warning calls from animals to indicate tigers. We were on a tiger hunt!!!! The safari was a bust! No tigers to be seen, not much else either. We warmed up with a cup of Marsala tea and had a walk around the town. Grant managed to fall backwards into the middle of the road while trying to get the perfect photo but fortunately there was a lull in the traffic so he is still with the team- thank goodness.

Off to the National park for another safari. We caused consternation by refusing to go as the afternoon safari was a repeat of the morning. We had just settled in to an afternoon in the sun when the flustered agent arrived to persuade us to go on the safari. Once it was confirmed that we would see another part of the park we climbed onto a small jeep for a crazy wild ride out to the park. The jeep was racing to catch up to the safari with its small band of rebels. Ranthambore National Park covers 1300 sq km, 70% of which is closed to the public. There are 54 tigers in the park and a breeding programme has been set up. Crocodile, samba deer and monkeys were seen on this safari. A bit of theatre ensued but much to our amazement we did see a tiger- no photos as it was in the distance and camouflaged somewhat in the environment - but it was there!!!!! Amazing! Chatting to othe safari goers was cool.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb