Another Road Trip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Ranthambhore National Park
January 7th 2014
Published: January 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another Road TripOnce again we awoke to thick fog, we had breakfast, packed up and piled into Jasveer's wagon for the journey to Ranthambore. A roadworks diversion sent us on a route through small country villages. We were enchanted with the small immaculately kept dwellings. Splashes of bright jewel coloured saris hanging on lines, fences and over trees indicated washing day. We saw women and children washing at the communal wells. They and their children tended the flocks of goats which all looked very healthy with shiny coats and long ears. There were pigs and cows and of course camels, some tethered and some pulling carts laden with goods. Women were working in the fields and carried loads on their heads. Children lined up for school in spotless uniforms and the men were driving tractors and camels or sitting in groups around stalls and small industries. The traffic continued to keep us amused as the correct side of the road for driving on seems to be a fairly flexible concept in this part of India. We don't get at all concerned when we see overladen trucks, bikes or cars heading for us on the wrong side of the road- we know Jasveer will casually drive around them without fuss. Stopping for petrol we were amazed when our driver got out and strolled in the opposite direction to the pump and got a sizable rock from a pile close by. He then placed it in front of the back wheel, jumped back into the van and drove onto it so that the van was lifted on the left rear of the vehicle. Apparently this was to compensate for poor compression of the petrol pump and give a better angle. After lunch at our hotel Jasveer took us to a Woman's craft cooperative where we did a bit more shopping. We are looking forward to our safari tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb