DARWIN - KOMODO ISLAND, INDONESIA


Advertisement
Asia
January 3rd 2012
Published: February 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Darwin at 5.00 p.m. The next day was spent at sea before finally sailing into Komodo Island, Indonesia on 3 Jan - early in the morning. Komodo Island is where they have Komoda Dragons – big, ugly looking lizards that stand waist-high, with poisonous drool - that simply bite their prey, let the prey run off whilst they wait until the poison kills them, before they track them down and eat them.

There were a couple of small fishing villages there who sent small canoes out to the ship that was anchored off the Island. We thought it was a welcoming committee, however, “Hello - Dollar” became a very familiar phrase during this cruise. The ship wouldn’t allow anyone off unless they were on a guided tour, as it was too dangerous with the dragons – although I wondered how the villagers coped, particularly with little kids? (Apparently they put food down for the dragons to stop them hunting people, although to me that seems like it encourages them).

Some Americans from the ship went ashore with a load of dollar bills to give to the kids - nice intentions. Apparently they took them out to hand out, and one kid snatched the entire lot and ran off, roughly shoving a 2 year old out of the way in the process. Apparently the whole experience really put them off

We finally sailed out of there at 6.00 p.m.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



16th February 2012

Spectacular photos!
My dear Sherlock, I'm just now leaving Komodo Island photos [beautiful island], but want to take a moment before going forward to say that your storm and architectural photos are truly spectacular. As for the ship, very impressive.
7th March 2012

Blog Shots
(My dear Sherlock, I'm just now leaving Komodo Island photos [beautiful island], but want to take a moment before going forward to say that your storm and architectural photos are truly spectacular. As for the ship, very impressive.) THANK YOU DARLING, THAT'S REALLY NICE OF YOU TO SAY.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb