Pushkar- they really can push ya!


Advertisement
Asia
January 11th 2012
Published: January 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I have found myself uninspired to write a blog in the last few days as we have been jetting across the Rajasthan countryside. Our time has been swept away with driving and it feels as though daylight disappears before you know it!

Until now...

We arrive in Pushkar with two days of downtime. Immediately on arrival I feel as though this town with its crumbling, sanded roads and the same haze of sand smog we have seen for days possesses something else.

Pushkar holds a uniqueness in that it is one of the holiest cities in all of India. Surrounded by a holy lake where its locals and travelling guests can go and pray for family, health and good luck in life.We are intrigued by peoples spirituality and constant devotion to their gods- so in good faith we respect the local beliefs and take our shoes off 30ft from the lake, only to be buldozed by many men all claiming to be priests pulling us towards the water to be given a prayer.

After about 5 minutes of repeating the hindi prayer after him, throwing endless amounts of flowers, sugar and spice into the water and having a band wrapped around our wrists we were free to go... but with one more thing. After their prayer was done we were asked if we would make a donation (if we like) to a foundation they had- testing the water i said no, and from this realising we had be had. From this we were not aloud to leave until we paid money each to these men.. so we did. 100 rupees between the two of us ($2) and left.

Walking away we both looked at each other and laughed "Welcome to the India experience... but in Pushkar they really push ya!"

The days that followed we were not heckled again, as we wore the string around our wrists that stated we had be swined already!

On a side note I must say that Pushkar really was an amazing place in mountain side scenery and religious belief influencing a whole town.. No drinking, no skin showing, no affection in public.. this place really was a central hub of India's spiritual beliefs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb