World Cup: Korea vs Togo


Advertisement
Asia
June 17th 2006
Published: June 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

City HallCity HallCity Hall

Covering the streets to watch the game
Of course the game was interesting, despite Togo’s disadvantage with the coach drama, but I think the most exciting part was seeing it in downtown Seoul with over 600,000 Koreans. The streets were blocked off as people flooded the ground sitting on news papers and shirts; everyone wore the red devil light up head bands as people sported the Korean flag as a variety of articles of clothing; people watched on the huge screens, some even from the tops of telephone booths.

Going anywhere took so much time, as there were so many people. We stood along the side of a huge group and watched the game at an odd angle from a towering screen overhead. Both of the 2 points that were scored were greeted with outbreaks of screaming, bursts of fireworks and confetti falling from the buildings. IN the idle moments the Korean would shout cheers and bang together the blow up toys.

After they won it was like a hug concert where people ran around excited. If you wanted to get anywhere you were screwed. I left right when the game was over and made the mistake of taking the subway. There were 20 people waiting at the station I was at and when the subway came only four of us could get on, and that was even dangerous. It was so packed.

When I got back to Sinchon, a crowd had beaten me there. They were screaming the same cheers and it looked like I was still at City Hall. The traffic was stopped and the busses were empty, except for a group that managed to get on top of the busses to lead the cheering. It was a great experience. I would have to too what happens when they loose.

Here is an article about it from MSN news: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5690964

More than 2 million South Koreans turned the country's streets red into the early hours Wednesday, wearing their national soccer team's blazing signature color as they celebrated their first-ever World Cup away victory.

“About 2.18 million people - including 640,000 in the capital, Seoul - took part in outdoor street parties to cheer the South Korean team on during their 2-1 victory over Togo, the National Police Agency said.
The night was lit up at Seoul Plaza in front of City Hall, with fans wearing red T-shirts and illuminated red devil's horn headbands, representing the official "Red Devils" fan club, as the country's soccer supporters are known.
The throngs of fans fell soberly quiet when Togo's Mohamed Kader opened scoring in the 31st minute. But they got back into the spirit after Lee Chun-soo equalized in the 54th with a goal punctuated in Seoul by fireworks.
The crowd went wild when Ahn Jung-hwan scored the winner in the 72nd minute.
South Koreans hope their team can replicate their 2002 performance, when the then-co-hosts of the tournament made a surprising run to the semifinals. Before the World Cup came to their home country, the South Koreans had never won a match ever at the quadrennial event.
The South Korean team is out to prove 2002 wasn't a fluke bolstered by the boisterous crowds at home, who hope their support this year will still be felt from halfway around the world.
Despite the win, some fans were cautious about their team's prospects. Togo's captain Jean-Paul Abalo was sent off in the 53rd after receiving a second yellow card for bringing down Park Ji-sung - giving the Koreans a one-man advantage for most of the second half.

“We were kind of lucky
Nice VeiwNice VeiwNice Veiw

Koreans watch from atop the phone booths
to play against only 10 Togo players," said Huh Sun-jeong, 26, who was selling T-shirts embedded with blinking lights. Still, she said she was "very sure that we will go the semifinals again."
Lee Jeong-whan, 20, lamented that the team was making its campaign this year without Guus Hiddink, the Dutchman who coached the South Koreans in 2002 but is now managing Australia's national squad. Another Dutchman, Dick Advocaat, was named as South Korea's coach last September.
"The reason we did so well in 2002 was Hiddink - but now we don't have him," Lee said. "Advocaat hasn't been with us for a long time, he doesn't trust in the ability of his players as much as Hiddink did."
Others were less reserved.
"I knew we made it. I am extremely happy," said Kim Young-ha, 20, a college student. "Our team will beat France and go to the next round."
The other team the Koreans will face in group play is Switzerland.
Before 2002, soccer was a relatively unknown sport here. But since then, the national team's fortunes have become an obsession shared by nearly all - infused with the patriotic pride felt so strongly by most Koreans.
Even prisoners are being allowed to get in on the hype. The Justice Ministry said inmates would watch the match, despite it happening well after normal bedtime.
What's more, there will likely be cheering for South Korea's team across the border in the North - but with a delay. The communist country's TV has requested the South's help to receive relayed broadcasts of World Cup matches, but the games weren't being shown live in the North.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



18th June 2006

copa del mundo
Yeah, the world cup is the talk of everyone down here in Peru too. Ghana beat the Czheck Republic today!!! I´m rooting for black stars all the way...but my heart is with SKorea too! I love you girl, glad you got to experience that... SRH
18th June 2006

hey hottie I love your messages. god, i wish i could be in any other country in the world because any other country is going crazy about the world cup like it should! Ghana beat the Czec Republic today (like number 2 in the world i think) and plays US this Thursday. Hope they kick some ass. I love you! You are such a talented writer.
18th June 2006

Once in a Lifetime...
Hey Rebekah - I'm sitting here in my Costa Rica soccer t-shirt after having watched Costa Rica play Germany ...in Costa Rica. I'm glad you were able to find this opportunity to experience soccer with those who love it! BTW, my husband just asked if you are going to be a journalist after reading your blog - awesome entry! K.

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 114; dbt: 0.1476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb