Chiang Mai and Rai


Advertisement
Asia
January 4th 2011
Published: January 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The train journey passed without any significant toilet breaks – thank god!! We arrived quite late so just ate some food and went to bed – I had a few more stints in the toilet that night but all in all was feeling a lot better. We spent the day looking around the town and we went for tea with Sophie and Willem to the night market which was nice. They then took us to a Dutch café they had found earlier in the day and bought us some traditional Dutch snacks; bitterbollen, frincandel and a cheeseboard which was amazing. We didn’t really do a lot in Chiang Mai and didn’t really like what we saw of it; there was a lot of sex tourism that made us feel sick and it was very westernized. Dim bought a double big mac (4 burgers) which made me feel physically sick (I can hear you now Benn Chaps idolizing that!) but Dim thought it was ace – SICKO!

So we headed to Chiang Rai; this time the Dutch C&%Ts had organized a hotel and were there to greet us when we arrived. This guesthouse was lovely and had a real chilled out garden and the owners were great. We ate tea in a cheap as chips café with the Dutch and an American guy called Taylor who had coincidently done some travelling with scotch Michael whom we had met earlier in our trip – small world. Taylor was lovely and the rest of the night was spent playing cards and having a laugh and then it was farewell to Jan and Sophie who were leaving for Laos via a 6 hour speedboat – aarrggh.

The next day we rented a scooter and toured around the countryside visiting villages, caves and a hot spring we had a really good day. We went to see this clock display they have everynight at 7, 8 and 9pm which if I was working next to would probably piss me off! For us tourists it was quite nice to see – check out our video of it.

Then we headed for Ko Chang to cross into Laos.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

cute kittenscute kittens
cute kittens

one for Jane!!
Real or not...Real or not...
Real or not...

This guy was made of wax but we really thought he was real and doing some weird deep meditation.
Mary's new philosophyMary's new philosophy
Mary's new philosophy

For all you worriers out there read it and weep or NOT any longer.
Wafer - HELENWafer - HELEN
Wafer - HELEN

This is for Irish Helen.
Dims new homeDims new home
Dims new home

He especially loved the colours so i thought i would humour him!
Poor birds Poor birds
Poor birds

apparently they are set free??
TerrapinsTerrapins
Terrapins

We felt like we were back in China
....elephants?....elephants?
....elephants?

These were just in the middle of the main street in Chiang Rai!


20th January 2011

hello pricks
hey guys nice to read your stories. How is it going in Lao??? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
20th January 2011
Dim's asian finger nail

long finger nail
yuk i am pleased you have cut it i hate it when men have long finger nails!!!!!!!
18th February 2011
Mary flower shot - nice!

lovely photo mary ;) you don't look a day over 29 x x x x
25th February 2011

thats because i was still well in my 20s then boyle!!! xx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb