NYE, Bridge over the River Kwai and diareah..


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
December 31st 2010
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: David Attenborough eat your heart out 34 secs
This was a lovely place; we stayed in mini bungalows next to the river and it was so quiet compared to Bangkok and the accommodation was a quarter of the price. We stayed here 2 nights and spent most of the time just relaxing. We went to see the bridge over the river Kwai which was interesting and nice to see. After, we went to a pool for the afternoon, followed by a lovely meal at night – all in all a much needed chill after the big smoke.

The plan was to go to Chiang Mai straight from here but we could not get on a train until the New Year and so we decided to go to Ayuthaya. This is an ancient town about 1 ½ hours north of Bangkok and on the train line to Chiang Mai so a good stopping off point. When we got there we managed to book on a train on 1st January so a hangover on a 11 hour train journey – not a pretty thought!

We hired bikes for the day and spent a lovely day touring the temples and parks. We stumbled across an elephant show place which was
View from Bungalows in KanchanaburiView from Bungalows in KanchanaburiView from Bungalows in Kanchanaburi

we sat here playing cards and drinking beer - bliss!
horrible the elephants were forced to perform tricks for human pleasure and stand on 2 legs; this made us feel very uncomfortable so we quickly left. We saw a couple of huge water lizards by the canals which were fab to see, we had already had one encounter with these lizards in Kachanaburi but not as close up as this.

The next day was New Years eve and the hotel we were staying in threw a party for everyone in the hotel; we all had to cook a dish from home. We spent half the day in a huge Thai supermarket looking for ingredients and we couldn’t find anything so we ended up making tuna pasta. It was lovely to try different foods and our pasta went down well! I was feeling a bit rough all day and when it came to celebrating, I couldn’t stomach alcohol in the end I went to bed at 10pm feeling ill; I had the bad shakes and flushes. Dim came and woke me at 11.55 and although it was hot I had 2 jumpers on and stayed up for 10 minutes to see the NY in and then went straight to bed – then came the shits great!!

So on New Years day, after hardly any sleep and lots of shits later I necked loads of Sophie’s imodium and got on the train to Chiang Mai praying that I would have no more shits on the 11 hr train journey….



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Original train Original train
Original train

This train used to go to Burma from Thailand - now the just have a little rubbish tourist train going over the bridge and back as the track is no longer in use.
Buddha headBuddha head
Buddha head

The tree had grown around this head at one of the temples in Ayuthaya
Poor elephantPoor elephant
Poor elephant

Didn't really like to take pics of this as it was horrible but wanted to show others thinking of going to this in Ayuthaya and tell you DO NOT bother.
Poor dogPoor dog
Poor dog

This dogs skin was in a right mess, there are lots of dogs like this over here no RSPCA, but it breaks our heart everytime we see it.
Weird animal thingy...Weird animal thingy...
Weird animal thingy...

This was in a tank inside a temple it was like a goat with 1 eye very strange!
Seated buddaSeated budda
Seated budda

There are so many budda's and temples all over these parts.


15th January 2011

Why do i always get these when i'm doing overtime on a Saturday morning?????? Pictures are great, you look well funny Mary on new years eve, PROPER ROUGH!!!!! Anyway, i'm suposed to be working!! See you soon.
15th January 2011

Nino
cheers mate!! i was ruff as fook enjoy work xx
15th January 2011

New Year Eve is over rated any way in my opinion. How cute are the tiger cubs! I'm so jealous of your adventures - although I think I'm too much of a scaredy cat really. Keep up the good work :-) Lots of love Jo xxxxxx

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.2008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb