Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Asia
January 11th 2011
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Luang Prabang



Figured out the Laotian keyboard. We've made to Luang Prabang. A 10 hour bus trip through the mountains of Laos it was one of the best days I've spent travelling. The bus was VIP which doesn't mean much, you just don't have to stand for 10 hours and the bus also has aircon which proved to be more a nightmare as it was overcast and cold outside and I didn't pack a single jumper (I froze my balls off). The amazing part of the journey was travelling through real Laotian towns and seeing real Laotians doing real Laotian things the thing that strikes you first is how similar we all are but yet how different. Everyone has TV even in the most remote village in the mountains there is a satellite out the front of every house. There is plenty of petrol stations, dogs, construction sites and most importantly beer Lao throughout the trip. I was saying to Amanda we should have hired a motor bike and rode ourselves to LP. That idea went out the window an hour and a half into the trip. The road's were in poor repair and your winding through huge mountains that coupled with neither Amanda or I every having ridden a bike would have resulted in our riding of a cliff. We stopped 3 times on the trip all the stops had toilets generally with a 5 year old kid standing out the front charging 1000kip to use it.

We arrived in LP at 1830 and thankfully the Tuk Tuk driver new where our hotel was I definitly wouldn't have found it. The hotel had no signage and looked way to good for us. The hotel room is very good and the receptionists speak English, finally Hotel Lao was a bitch. We grabbed some food at a little restraunt over looking the Mekong. We headed back to our hotel and crashed early, we couldn't wait to explore tomorrow. We were up earlyish and started to explore. We feel in love with Luang Prabang in minutes, this place is amazing. I'll explain more on my next entry. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll try to upload some more photo's which will hopefully give you a bit of an insight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb