The Pink City


Advertisement
Asia
January 5th 2011
Published: January 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After Agra we headed to Jaipur, otherwise known as The Pink City. Honestly, I hadn't heard that many great reviews about Jaipur so was pleasantly surprised to find I really enjoyed my time there.

We joined the locals for a Bollywood film at the Raj Mandir - Asia's best cinema, and spent our time discovering the old city and it's many fine fabrics and jewels.

The only downside of my time in Jaipur was the beggars and homeless. People were literally scattered on every spare space on the side walks and empty parks. The conditions that these people were in was very upsetting. Our guide told us that the government does provide temporary housing (camps) for the homeless in winter, but many chose to stay on the streets.

Our accommodation in Jaipur was at the Diggi Palace - a lovely old colonial estate that has been maintained beautifully which is quite rare from what we have seen in India so far.


Top 5 for the Pink City are;

1. Dancing and clapping with the locals at Raj Mandir theatre

2. Wandering aimlessly around the bazzars and in and out of the old city gates

3. Finding a beautiful smoky topaz ring for $12

4. Walking down the street of our hotel to see men dancing around in the underwear for us...we were laughing, they were laughing...maybe one of those things that you had to be there for!

5. Our group standing on the street corner trying to find our way back to our hotel. I looked down to find rats surrounding us, screamed and ran away whilst startling the rest of my group who also screamed, ran and found something to jump up on....we like to cause scenes and draw attention to ourselves no matter where we go!!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb