"One rupee, one photo please"...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Madhogarh
January 7th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, we were certainly in for a special experience when we arrived at Fort Madhogarh, our accomodation for the night.

Fort Madhogarh has been in the Royal Family of Rajasthan for over 500 years and like many beautiful palaces & forts in Inida, was slowly falling apart year by year. A younger member of the family came up with a plan to restore the Fort to it's former glory by turining it into a Heritage Stay. Intrepid have been bringing their groups here for the past few years and the positive flow on effect can be seen throughout the village. From the local electrician to vegetable seller to milk man - the villagers all benefit from the Fort in some form or another.

Our host took us on a guided tour of the village, stopping to chat to the friendly locals and to view every day rural Rajasthani life. We were once again the centre of attention and by the end of the 3 hour walk we had a small crowd trailing behind us.

We also visited a government initiative "Fabric Factory" which enables locals an opprotunity to find work in the factory if they have no other means of employment. The factory produces some really beautiful pashminas, blankets and woollen items.


Highlights of the Fort Madhogarh stay were;

1. Dressing up in local Rajasthani dress (turbans for the guys)

2. Eatng an amazing meal under the stars

3. Sitting ontop one of the Forts ramparts, watching the sunset with a g&t in hand

4. Interacting with the local children and been chased down the street with them screaming "one rupee, one photo please"

5. Driving in jeeps through rural Rajasthan to get to the fort. An amazing way to see every day village life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



10th January 2011
Dressed in local Rajasthani dress

Indian Girl!
Hey PK, Stunning Mate!! Next time I hear about a BOLLYWOOD AUDITION in Syd, I am going to refer you for sure!! Cheerio, Sap
15th January 2011
Our accommodation!

Looks great, do only Intrepid use the fort as a destination & how many guests dose it take. The fabric factory sounds like a great inititive was it run as a co-operative. Love the idea of the money going straight into the workers hands.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb