Hoi An (Vietnamese for 'rain')


Advertisement
Asia
December 19th 2009
Published: December 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

We are now in Hoi An, in Central Vietnam, having caught the overnight train from Mui Ne.

The train trip was fun, with five of us in a six berth cabin, three bunks on each side. Gabe wanted to sleep on the top bunk but the train-man said little people had to be lower down - fortunately Dom was not too little so he scored the top. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant car, and Karin sat with the 'Chief of Train Security', poring over the travel book trying to get the best local tips.

We also made many local friends given our support for the Vietnamese womens football team, who played Thailand in the final of the SEA Games. Vietnam won on penalties, and there was much rejoicing.

Given our current luxiurious approach to 'backpacking', we were picked up at Danang Station by a private car for the 30km ride to Hoi An. Our hotel has a swimming pool in the courtyard, and our room (occupied two weeks before by the Chaffers) is right next to the pool. Ufortunately there has not been much swimming given the current weather.

Ah, the
A localA localA local

All dressed up in my new Vietnamese robe
weather ... a couple of nice days but now absolutely perseistently precipitating - we have been drenched twice today (we hired bikes earlier), leaving Gabe runing around 'showing a bit of muscle' in his undies.

Karin and Ariane have been 'going crazy' with the shopping. Ariane has decked herself out in a traditional Vietnamese robe and matching slacks, topping it off with a pointy hat thing. Karin has been a bit more restrained, ordering some sensible skirts. Dom has a new cap and t-shirt, whilst Gabe also has a new shirt. Mik was last seen ordering another coffee.

Yesterday we went to Marble Mountain, one of five limestone outcrops in the Da Nang area. Nice caves, with buddhist temples and pagodas, and a strange 'monkey-man'. Afterwards we went to a sculpture museum.

Time to download some photos ...



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

WetWet
Wet

Lets go for a ride...
What a viewWhat a view
What a view

In somesort of a tower looking down at Hoi An
TempleTemple
Temple

A Temple where we saw a Monk chanting
Touching the skyTouching the sky
Touching the sky

A tall Pagoda
The cavesThe caves
The caves

In one of the caves where the Monks prey
GulpGulp
Gulp

Having our first coconut drink
The sameThe same
The same

Dom imitating the statue


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb