Bangkok continues


Advertisement
Asia
July 30th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Now found internet cafe in Chaing Mai (Helen/Audrey in her element as it is Chocolate Cafe!) so updating more about Bangkok..... Sunday in Bangkok....After confusing our rep at the airport because we were not the expexted two elderly ladies, have renamed ourselves.....Miss Marple and Audrey stepped out on their own to explore this city of 1000 vices......

Miss Marples sense of direction failed her as she led poor Audrey on a tour of the grimey, smelly back streets in an attempt to find the sky train......very interesting seeing the real lives of peole in Bangkok.....picked up the scent and found the undergroud..... felt as if we had entered another world......modern, clean, efficient, polite and helpful staff.....strangely pleased with little black tokens given to operate system....very eco friendly!.....everyone on underground wearing face masks due to fear of swine flu.....dared each other to sneeze just to see what would happen.....thought better of it as might have been thrown from carriage!......

found connection to sky train.....amazing views as travelled through the city......took us all the way to the river where we caught the river taxi.......unsure if on correct boat...... feared we may have been mis directed and now being taken up river to unknown destination.....possibly to be sold into slavery!.....however, whistle man blew his whistle and off we went in the right direction.....conductor aggressively shook metal tin in face to indicate ticket required......one of only Thai's not smiling.....scary to watch people getting on and off.... had to move very quick as boat often started to move away as they stepped off......got off and went in search of the Grand Palace......

Audrey had been warned of the many scams operating at the Palace by touts saying it was closed and trying to take you elsewhere...... sense of excitement increased as saw suspected touts in distance.....keen to experience their attempts at scamming and to see them off with our walking sticks!.....Not disappointed.....were told at every gate that the palace was closed.... WRONG, open until 3.30pm......that we couldn't go in in sandals...WRONG, all footwear fine.....that only Thai's allowed in today as it was a special festival...WRONG, Thai's just have a separate gate.....thay we had to buy a spercial ticket.....WRONG, buy tickets inside walls once you have decided what you want to see......Found tourist gate, Miss Marple suitably dressed, but Audrey too revealing and had to cover up.....can borrow sarongs/shirt for free at enterance......Lots of guards with guns in palace.....not a photo oportunity.... too stern looking.....

Torrential down pour when came out......lovely as so hot, and rain very warm....were stopped by group of student who had to interview/video someone as part of their English homework.....very sweet to speak to.....extremely polite and respectful......Audrey got very excited when she saw family being scammed and went in to save them from being whisked away in a tuk tuk......only to find it was now 3.30 and the palace was actually closed......very upset tuktuk driver....very embarrassed Audrey......

Went to Wat Phra Chetuphon with the Reclining Budha....very impressive.... only 50 bhat.....lots of saterlite temples......fun putting coins in the pots.....made a lovely sound......beautiful tiled memorials......really enjoyed the atmosphere....like a park, but so much more......caught river taxi, skytrain and underground back, this time getting off at station closest to hotel.....but still walked wrong way!.....saw some very interesting bars.....possibly not suitable for husbands to attend unaccompanied.....

Met tuktuk driver that evening.....asked to go to lively part of city for bars, food and dancing......took us on mamoth expedition which ended at deserted resturants.... made him drive on as not what we wanted.....eventually got him to drop us at small complex of bars/restaurants......mainly elvis/kareoke......met weird expats.....asked them for directions.... they tried to engage us in conversation, although too drunk to be coherent.....decided to make quick escape when one started to talk about digging up dead ex-girlfriend.....decided to head back to hotel and to Face Bar....very beautiful but expensive....lovely food......ambient surroundings......long walk home as no money left for taxi!

Advertisement



30th July 2009

Hi Helen!
Helen - sounds like you two are having a great time! Carry on having fun! Lots of love, as always, Claire XXXX

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb