Vietnam


Advertisement
Asia
July 17th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Good morning Vietnam!
We have almost been here a week now and had an interesting start in Hanoi. First impressions were great- ridiculously friendly and generous hostel staff, amazing scenery, full of paddy field workers and vietnamese people in their hats on bikes and carrying goods on sticks etc. We met 3 great people in our hostel with similar plans to us so went to look at tours with them and venture into the city. However we were soon caught in a huge thunderstorm- soaked from head to toe and walking through flood waters- trousers were a bad choice! It was great fun especially when half of Julias leg disappeared into a 'puddle'! lol.
Our evening was lovely- nice meal with new group and then to see the famous water puppet show which blew us away.
The following day was market day- we have discovered the vietnamese do not like westerners very much and they LOVE to push people around or grab you to buy something! All in all it was an experience but we prob won't be rushing back there! WE have become pros at crossing the road tho- they just don't stop- hundreds of motorcyclists just weave around you at full speed- scary at first, but quite normal now.
We all booked a special 3 day trip to Halong Bay- one of the most beautiful natural wonders of the world. It was paradise- we were staying on a luxury 'junk' boat, the poshest food ever, great company and fantastic views. we visited caves, went kayaking- (probably a highlight of the trip when we discovered the most picturesque and quiet bay after kayaking through a little cave- blew us away, just laid in our boats in awe for quite a while) jumped off the boat to swim in jellyfish invested waters, another great meal then sitting under the stars at night. day 2 allowed us to trek up a mountain for outstanding views- pics soon to come! then lunch and boat to monkey island for swimming sunbathing and trekking to try and find the monkeys- but sadly it was too hot for them to come down from higher up. the weather was great for us also.
NOw we are in Hue after a long bus journey, but have a lovely hotel and have wondered around- much prefer it to Hanoi. again the journey allowed us to see the true vietnamese lives and villages. After a restful evening visiting temples etc tomorrow before we hit Ho an and some more lovely beaches.
Lots of Love Jules and Laura xxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb