Hello from MUMBAI!


Advertisement
Asia
March 30th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I have just finished my first day of lectures at the whistling woods. it is amazing here. When we first arrived the heat hit me and i had a huge grin accross my face. Ailia who is looking after us here met us and we got on the bus to the film city community. The roads here are crazy, very adhoc and nothing is planned like back home. its exactly how i imagined traffic wise. gridlock, slums at the side of the streets, rickshaws driving crazily and horns beeping constantly. you would think people didn't have mirrors, they just beep so that people know they are next to them. It doesn't smell too bad. i've had a few smells of sewage but nothing like i imagined!
Yesterday when we arrived we met Poonam our hostel officer, she is ex army and very to the point but very accomodating. she lives with us and has told us that day or night no matter where we are if we need her just call her. she said even if we are far away she will come to us and help. we have her mobile number, this is really reassuring expecially for you mum. After being given our room keys and some basic rules we went to our rooms and unpacked. we then went to a mall and had a curry - OH MY GOD. i had a paneer m..... i cant remember the name but it was really hot! everything is spicey here, for breakfast i got an omlette thinking it would be mild. it had green chilli's and red onions in it..... it was nice though!
Today has been so much fun. we had a contextual introduction to indian cinema, scriptwriting and finally directing. its really nice to be able to do other lessons than just my specialisms. i'm enjoying it and can tell i am going to learn lots here. Tomorrow is a full day of cinematography which i am really excited for.
We're going to go on filed trips with ww around mumbai so that we can do some sight seeing. I don't think we will be visiting the taj mahaal as it is over 600 miles away and we have so much to explore. already though i know i am going to want to come back and to explore the whole of this country. i think i am getting the travel bug, really badly.
The lecturers are really welcoming and lovely. one guy has given us his mobile number and is going to meet with us on friday night and take us to a small non multiplex cinema so that we can experience the indian cinema going culture, that i've soon discovered is a massive part of their life.
I keep thinking about my granddad being here in the war and how he may have been to the same places as me. i cant wait to get back and talk to him all about it. I'm going to go to the gateway of india when i visit central mumbai which is near the hotel that got blown up last year. i wonder if grandad left britain through the gate like it says they did in my book.
Sorry that my spelling is atrocious and the way i am just writing random thoughts. i am so tired i haven't really caught up on my sleep and have had a really bad headache this afternoon!
I am so lucky to be at whistling woods. on thursday we are going to a film set that sharuk kahn (i spell this wrong) the most famous actor in BOLLYWOOD will be at. i know miki is jealous of this. its so exciting here. there are sets constantly being made. a musician from california is here recording a music video. we met a girl who is staying in our hostel who is helping out on the shoot and is his friend. We get to go to yoga, voice training, acting, bollywood dance and all sorts of exciting classes.
Bad news for me is that facebook is blocked from this computer cafe so no facebook for me!!!!!!
Mum, dad please print this for granddad!
i miss you lots but i'm not ready to leave yet ha!!!!
I'll write again soon xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb