Sleepless in Stung Treng


Advertisement
Asia
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I Know I should be asleep, but I aint, because I'm awake, because the
Buddhist nun won't let me or anyone else sleep, because she obviously can't sleep and feels the need to perform her devotional chants into a microphone at the nearby pagoda. Not nice to say, but I do wish she would shut up!

She's quiet now. Hopefully Buddha delivered her to Nirvana, or some other far away place, but now the late night kareoke begins with a vengeance, which would not be so bad if drunk people could sing. They think they can, but they're wrong!

5.25am and the three young girls are getting up to cook noodle soup to sell as they do every morning. Schooling is available here for only four hours a day, and children attend either the morning or afternoon session. If Sebastien found out about this he would emmigrate without glancing back once!

So what excitement is in store for us here in Stung Treng today, you may ask (but probably won't bother)?

Will the internet connection be completed?

Will the internet connection work?

Have the two bloody noisy dogs here been (hopefully) turned into Khmer winter stew, for the warming properties it bestows?

Did the Bhudhist nun exit samsaric existance after all?

Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment of "As Your World Turns (upside down)".


Advertisement



12th November 2008

As the World Turns?
I would have though, from your latest writtings that the title would read,"As the Stomach Turns". Next time bring a pair of wire cutters with you. It requires some night time espionage, but it is well worth the effort. Who knows, maybe the Khmer population will find that their IQ goes up with quality sleep?

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb