Don't think twice... Wash your rice!!


Advertisement
Asia
October 9th 2005
Published: October 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Traveling up to the region of Sapa has def shown us a new way of living. It is a city only one hour from the Chinese border. It is the coldest city in Vietnam because of its high elevation. After arriving at 6am friday morning after an intense over night, bumpy and noisy train ride (this is def far from any euro-rail we've experienced...even being in first class!!) we were a bit graugy from the sleeping pills we popped. So as soon as we got to our hotel, we passed out in our beautiful room. We had a balcony view of the mountains and rice patties, which this region is most known for... breath-taking!! When we awoke, it was raining pretty hard... talk about a nice clean start after a couple of days breathing in the Hanoi culture.

We had a guide take us through the mountain rice patties of Sapa. After 14 grulling km of hiking, we found ourselves with the "Da'y" people. This village is right by a river at the base of the patties. Our guide asked a family he knew if we could stay over night. This household consisted of 4 generations! Everyone played a role,
last night in Hanoilast night in Hanoilast night in Hanoi

view from above the streets where we enjoyed a beer and a poor attempt at a pizza...
and we jumped right in (see pictures!).

Best part... we ate crickets!! Not just one, but multiple!! As we sat in the smoky, dank cooking area our tour guide was dumping (LIVE!!) grass hopper after grass hopper onto card board and tearing off their heads and legs and then removing their insides. Fun fact - they kept moving around until they're dumped in a pan...ewww. This is, however, a treat to the Vietnamese. Today we saw little kids with their dad hopping around the rice patties trying to snatch these little creatures, and then they stuff them into water bottles. It was hard getting them into our mouths, but once they were in they were damn tasty; we continued to help ourselves to more!

Mixture of moonshine rice wine (sake) and grass hoppers... MmmMmmm...

Next we take an overnight train back to Hanoi, and a bus to Halong Bay!

xoxo S & J


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Here we go...Here we go...
Here we go...

down hill is so much fun! We kept our tour guide on his toes...
Stacy made new friends!Stacy made new friends!
Stacy made new friends!

We swear these girls followed us for a good couple of miles... no joke.
"You buy from me??""You buy from me??"
"You buy from me??"

Hords of women dressed in traditional clothing with babies strapped to their backs would follow us. Worse than Mexico!
Kid lovers... BEWARE!Kid lovers... BEWARE!
Kid lovers... BEWARE!

How do you say no to these faces?? Lisa and Burke...you wouldn't stand a chance!
homestay with a Da'y family homestay with a Da'y family
homestay with a Da'y family

yes, those are sacks of rice behind stacy. first night sleeping under a mosquito net...oh, and in a hut in the middle of a rice patty for that matter! Who are we?
dinner timedinner time
dinner time

stacy can make a mean spring roll
fire burning stovefire burning stove
fire burning stove

they deep fry everything... YES!
feels like home...feels like home...
feels like home...

have you ever taken a bamboo bongload of sapa tobacco? well we have. and talk about a MAD head rush...hooka times one million! you think we are exaggerating?? no.
a feasta feast
a feast

as strange as it sounds, the grass hoppers (the red things) were the best part of the meal. we are hooked! don't be alarmed if you find us crawling around on the lawn when we get home.
here goes nothing...here goes nothing...
here goes nothing...

pre-first cricket. looking at it on the chopstick is the hardest part...not to mention the smell.
kills the germs!kills the germs!
kills the germs!

we drank them under the table, and got our tour guide wasted. the father makes moonshine rice wine... 8 shots later and it is clear to us that they can make it better than drink it! haha...crazy girls from cali.


9th October 2005

just like old times...
Well I can tell you, after 4 years of living with Stacy, I'm not surprised you guys are smoking, drinking people under the table, and eating weird, random fried things. Sounds like an amazing adventure! Thanks for letting us tag along through your pictues and stories. We miss you and love you, have fun and be safe!! -Ashley
10th October 2005

You guys adventure sounds so amazing. Im so happy that you are really embrassing the true culture, no just the tourists spots. Que suerte!!
10th October 2005

awesome
I can't believe JESSIE ate crickets...Stacy, i know you'd try anything once!
10th October 2005

Grasshoppers?
So grasshoppers smell bad but taste good. That is very interesting. I can't say I've ever liked the taste of something that smelled bad. I'll have to give it another try. Too bad you didn't get any pics of you guys eating them. It probably would have been rude, but very cool.
14th October 2005

holy shit
I didnàt actually believe that you both left for the Far East, but now I believe. FAR OUT!
16th October 2005

Firenze non e cosi bello che Roma
I know you know that, Jessie. Remember how cool Italy was, and now Vietnam is the new adventure. I'm pumped to keep travelling after I see the smiles on your face and Stacy's face in foreign lands. Cool food, it looks like, enough chances for inebriation, it looks like, and cool new people. What else do you need in life. I'm going to Israel soon, on the 23rd of Oct., so soon we'll be on the same continent. wish me well.
7th November 2005

i love u gurls
im such a dumass...i am finally taking a look at all your journal entries and i am now obsessed with your entries...i so wish i was there...u guys r really doin a damn good job wit da pics and entries...did i already say i sooo wanna be there...luv ya gurls...be safe

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb