Hanoi is Hannoying...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 6th 2005
Published: October 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

No seeing stars here!No seeing stars here!No seeing stars here!

We think we've knocked a couple years off our lives due to the heavy exhaust from the scooters and motorbikes. Score... 2 for 75 cents!
Where to begin...

Spent yesterday exploring the city and had locally brewed Hanoi and Tiger beer for dinner. So yeah we drank beer, but we would like to say the reason for passing out at 8pm was due to jet lag. it is a 13 hour difference! so when we woke up at 5:30 am in our cloths, we were a little pissed. there were a few taverns we had marked out in our little book, so to make up for it all we chugged beers while our breakfast was being cooked at 7:15 am. nice little buzz with those empty stomachs...

Hanoi is insane basically. no joke, when you guys go to the world market/cost plus and buy ceramics, picture frames, sink faucets, stuffed animals, stainglass lamps... this is where it all begins. Hanoi is jam packed with venders that actually work on the sidewalk making their goods. We have even seen where the bottle caps are made in a dark, smokey shop that is literally 4 ft wide!

They have the streets all organized into different trades... if you want your pants hemmed or lost a botton you go down one street... if you want sports
New fruit... So exciting!!!New fruit... So exciting!!!New fruit... So exciting!!!

This white fruit is called "dragon fruit" and we think it has the texture of a kiwi. It is so juicy but not too sweet... just perfect!
equ, sunglasses, silk goods, metal accessories, toys or bath necessities... you go down another street. And even more crazy-- the streets are named after the goods they produce!! For example we are staying on Hang Manh which means "bamboo screens"... how random is that?!

And we thought after being students at UC Davis we had an idea of what a lot of bikes meant... wrong! We are lucky we have not been killed yet and will probably never fear traffic in the states again. and who said asians were bad drivers?? they are so insanely in control and have MAD driving skills you would be blown away and NEVER insult them again. But the pollution from all the motorbikes, cars and mopeds is alarming. so alarming that when we woke up with sore throats and thick lungs we decided to buy tiny face masks that a lot of the locals wear.

today we are headed to the region of Sapa which is located in the north of Vietnam for a guided tour of rice patties and shit. that should be cool, hope you enjoy the photos we added cause it took us FOREVER and about 50 cents (haha
The local brew...The local brew...The local brew...

Very interesting... sweet yet bitter. A little lime added seems to do the trick!
about 2 hours) to post this for you guys back in the states... but this is what you do out of love!!

xoxo S & J


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Open-air barOpen-air bar
Open-air bar

Enjoying a few drinks above the hustle and bustle of Hanoi, Vietnam.
Temple of LiteratureTemple of Literature
Temple of Literature

This temple was dedicated to Confucius to honor of scholars. This was the first university built in 1076.
Lunch Time...Lunch Time...
Lunch Time...

common sidewalk "restaurant"... you never know what you are really eating! (see the random rooster??)
Is jessie in a national geographic or what?!Is jessie in a national geographic or what?!
Is jessie in a national geographic or what?!

This random woman in the middle of some crazy street threw this banana contraption (that is common for women to carry goods in) on her shoulder... snap!
Hoan Kiem LakeHoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake

This is the tortoise tower (thap rua) in the middle of the lake.
Random shop...Random shop...
Random shop...

Besides the pretty dress that probably had a waist of 20"... there were sporadic crazy trees growing throughout the city like the one you see here...
Flowers...Flowers...
Flowers...

This was on the fake flower street... too bad jess didn't bring glitter glue and a bobby pin!!
Street Shops.Street Shops.
Street Shops.

Notice the size of the bike compared to the width of the cafe with bird cages hanging... talk about an alley shop!
is it Christmas?!is it Christmas?!
is it Christmas?!

Santa's toy shop(s) along the toy street... we didn't know the North Pole was so damn hot and humid!!
Look both ways!!Look both ways!!
Look both ways!!

Not the best example of the 24/7 rush hour... but you get the idea...


6th October 2005

Good Times
Looks like you're having the experience you set out for. Thanks for keeping us updating on your happenings. I feel like I'm living the experience through you two. Keep the updates and the pictures coming. I'll send you 4 dollars via PayPal for the pictures uploads if you send me your PayPal account name. Haha.
7th October 2005

santa's shop isn't in the north pole?
..that is a great picture and a great line! Thanks for sharing your lives. But how are you going to bring everything home that you buy when you left with jam packed backs?? c-ya' soon.xoxo
8th October 2005

such a stacy/jessie trip!
Girls...i can already tell by your stories and pictures that the two of you make SO much sense traveling together. Cracks me up, actually. When i think about it, I'm always the one that is embarassed by one of you taking random pictures or whatever...and now that it's just the two of you, and (snif) not me, you'll have a blast doing all your random crazy stuff! I love you two, take care PLEASE. and have fun! Lisa
8th October 2005

wow
Hey girls, it sounds like you're having a great time, Im so jealous!! School in davis sucks, but only 2 i/2 more months so yay! The pictures are great, keep them coming!! xoxo, Meliss
10th October 2005

I love and miss both of you!!! The pictures aren't showing on my comp for some reason. Yes, Jessie I am having computer problems, If only I could use my mad skills. Keep the blogs a coming, mucho mucho amor!!! -Dannie

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb