Day 9 - Varanasi Day Tour


Advertisement
Asia
May 3rd 2023
Published: May 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Up at 4.30am, ready for the 5am pick up. We went to the same spot where the Aarti ceremony was last night, but a lot less people. As we got rowed out, I realised this the location you usually see in photos. The sun even poked out from the clouds a couple of times. It was a lovely peaceful time as we witnessed devotees washing, swimming and praying in the Ganges.

We then alighted from the boat, tipping the young rower and walked through a new complex built recently by the government containing a temple and some fast-food outlets. Fortunately, the buildings are built to the traditional style. We then visited a store which had clothing made by Cotton Flower, a co-op of women making clothing to support their families.

We then had a 1.5 hour break to have breakfast. After breakfast, I was able to post the blog but Facebook stalled as the Internet was not stable. I gave up at 9.20am and fell asleep and Daisy had to wake me up 10 minutes later.

We then drove to the other side of the city to see the Varanasi University campus which was built over 100 years ago by the British and is one of the most highly regarded universities in India. There are lots of trees and greenery everywhere which makes it a nice setting. The campus is very big, so we were glad we were driven around.

Next stop was the Durga Temple which is painted red. We saw lots of babies screaming and crying as they were having their heads shaved, which is a tradition when they are around 1-2 years of age. It is their first haircut.

Next stop was the Mother India temple which was inaugurated by Mahatma Ghandi. It contains a gigantic map of the Indian sub-continent made of marble and in relief.

Raj suggested we go back for lunch and meet again at 3.30pm and we were all happy with that. We got back to the hotel at noon, so enough time to have a lunch and a nano nap.

The afternoon excursions started with the Archaeological Museum Sarnath, which statues and artefacts from the ruins of the Sarnath site which had a vast complex of Buddhists temples and stupas. The main piece is the heads of four lions which features on all of India's bank notes.

We then visited the actual site which is across the road. Most of it is now marked out with modern bricks, although one large stupa has been restored.

On the way back, Raj asked us to do him a favour and visit a textile factory/shop. He actually explained that the Government requires these visits as parts if tours. So we agreed, and of course, came out with some purchases, but at good prices (as usual). Peter suggested we need to attend Shopoholics Anonymous.

We then dinner altogether before retiring early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb