Visiting Uncle Ho in Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
July 12th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 21.0245, 105.841

We flew from Hue to Hanoi early in the morning to be met by a very non communicative guide who did not even introduce herself. It was very hot, neary 40 we were told and the humidity made it almost unbearable. We were first taken to the History Museum as the recommended Ethnology museum was closed on Mondays. This was in abeautifu old building which mixed French and Chinese architecture to produce a stunning result. On the inside were displays showing Vietnamese history from the Stone Age to the end of French Occupation, some interesting pdisplays but not riveting.

From there we were driven to the lake in the centre of the Old Quarter and after a 30 second explanation virtually went on a "forced march" through the od town stopping briefy at the food market and then at the Bach Ma tempe, the odest Buddhist tempe in Hanoi. Then it was back to the hote. Our guide had barely spoken to us and seemed to want to get it over and done with.
The hotel, though small, was well appointed and comfortable and blessedly well air conditioned. Our guide then left us with a recommendation to walk to where Ho's mausoleum is. After a rest in the room and lunch in the hotel we set out on our own armed with our map. It was still hot but there were some shady trees along the way. Our route took us past many large French Colonial buildings now used for officia purposes.

We then came to a wide boulevard on which we found the presidential palace. This is a magnificent od building set in beautiful gardens. Further along we came to the large stone mausoleum that is Ho Chi Minh's resting pace. It was closed so we didn't get a look at him but the area around here is fantastic. There is a large "parade ground" in front and then magnificent gardens behind. We walked to where the museum of his life is situated but it was also closed. We then saw a beautiful small temple, known as the One Plliar temple as it stands in the middle of a pond supported by a single column. This is an area we would have expected the guide to take us. Our walk back took us along another street full of large od French syle houses. Many of these are occupied by embassies. A motorcade came past us, containing the NZ Prime Minister who is visiting Hanoi.

We went back to the Old Quarter and ended up at the lake. We then went to a bar that had been recommended in the Lonely Planet guide, Le Pub. There we found Cooper's Beer!
After a meal in an Italian Restaurant we returned to the hotel with a better understanding of the city than the guide had given us.


Advertisement



14th July 2010

Thank god you both have the sense to look about on your own. It seems the guide is not doing any guiding. I wonder about other people who have used their services and really not seen a thing.Good to hear you are enjoying yourselves, and fin
ding Coopers in the most unlikely of places. We have rain and winter here, so enjoy!
14th July 2010

By the way, how did you go back in time like that? To January 2002... impressive. Is Hanoi that far behind the rest of the world?

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb