Terrifying Tunnels and Delicious Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
August 25th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.75, 106.667

Formally known as Saigon before the war, I was expecting majestic things from the city (esp as it was talked about so much in the films.... however, i guess the majority of it was destroyed in the war, either that or i was in the wrong places! It was just as you would expect a big city to be really.... posh bits and not so posh bits.... but nothing i would call magical

From here was where the majority of the Vietnamese War sites were, museums and tunnels. I decided that as i was going to the killing fields in Cambodia in a few days, that i would go to the tunnels and learn what i could from them, but i was not going to the museum... i can live without the images of people, including children being tortured and shot in the head. I knew it happened, I just don't need to be upset twice in one week.

The tunnels at Cu Chi, have been opened up to tourists, so they can see where people used to live and fight. The tunnels have been widened slightly for westerners... as they kept getting stuck in the original ones - they def breed them bigger at home!! On arrival, we sat and watched a video, with a mock up of the tunnel system infront of us. If i hadnt become claustrophobic in my old age, i would have said it was an ingenius system, however, living down there fore 8 yrs - I THINK NOT!!! We saw entrances to shooting holes that were no larger than an A4 piece of paper, there were many traps used to capture/mame american soldiers and many activities depicted with the reuse of materials dropped and found. It was quite informative, as sad to say i really didnt know alot about this war. The tunnels however, i had to abandon half way in, i could not handle being in a line of 20 people with no light and everyone stopping and not knowing what was going on ahead! I managed about 40m, but that was most definitely enough for me! It was then time for tea and some food that they would have lived on down the tunnels during the war.... it tasted slightly like potato, with the consistency of sweed. It was edible, although not sure i would particularly fancy it day in day out for years! We attempted, on our way home, to get the driver to drop us into the centre of the city, but the bus driver wanted an extra $40 between us.... i think not, considering the public bus into town cost approximately 20p! So we regrouped after being dropped off at our hotel to bus it into the centre. Myself, Chris and Jay were going to the market for a shop and lunch, whilst the others were going to the war remnants museum. The market was huge, selling pretty much anything you can imagine... from tourist crap to motorbike parts to spices. I had to get some dried candied coconut - food of the gods! and then it was noodle time at one of the random little stalls.... we picked one that had an english menu available, so we didnt end up eating rat! After some professional slurping, we pounded the pavements of the city for a few hours... to see the Notre Dam replica, the river and some more shopping centres along the way! I made friends with a girl who was studying English at university and wanted to practice with an English person! She was a sweetheart though! We had to make a running jump onto the bus (proper old London style leap!) to make sure we got back to the hotel, but it was good fun in the process!

The following day, 5 of us decided to go to the Mekong Delta, to see where the river we have been around for so long ended. It was quite a bus trip there, but on arrival, we were plonked into boats for various activities along the shoreline and islands in the area.... most around unicorn island - good name! We went to a honey farm, and drank some honey tea.... although the bees i think wanted to reclaim there honey, as there were a lot around and big ones too! Then it was onto a traditional row boat for what was supposed to be a 30min cruise along the canals back to the main boat.... our guys on our boat were definitely on red bull as we were there in 10 mins... overtaking everyone along the way... was hilarious, although i think i would have preferred for it to take just a tad longer! Lunch whilst it rained was a good idea, as the heavens opened, then off to the coconut candy factory! They still make everything by hand, even wrapping them all individually! Free tasters too... hell yes! Lastly it was fresh fruits from the local area on platters, with traditional singing and musicians. It was great until they started singing 'if your happy and you know it'... not so traditional i feel!

On return to the city, we all went for some traditional street food, which was bloody amazing, consisting of BBQ pork with rice and some veg.... for less than £1 - even better! We also had some moon cake that night too.. there is a big festival on.... there are stalls everywhere selling moon cakes... we had no idea what they were - sweet or savory, but we thought we may as well try one and see. there were about 20 dif types to chose from, all dif prices and a lady selling them speaking no english... was a case of lucky dip... and it was a good lucky dip! Coconut mushy, sweet filling with what looked like an egg yolk in the middle? was yummy anyways!!

Vietnam has most definitely been an experience, and i would adore to come back, see some different places and spend longer in some of the ones we have been too, but apart from the mental bus drivers, it has been a pleasure!





Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb