Project Day 3


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
July 21st 2004
Published: July 21st 2004
Edit Blog Post

I have been coerced into writing the next entry in the diary, largely because the other two teachers are either waiting for their meal (after 2 hours) or had their meal 2 hours ago!
We have had a really successful day completing the decorating side of the project at the shelter for street children. However it did not get off to a brilliant start. Normally a minibus picks us up in the morning and we just get one taxi. This morning, we had to get three taxis and set off. The first taxi sped off with the aim of getting the work started; both Miss Demetz and Mick accompanied the five girls; I followed on in the next taxi with the third car following us. After half an hour, I realised we had crossed a bridge too far, so, with maximum chaos in the Vietnamese rush hour, both taxis did a U turn and got us to within half a kilometre of the shelter. We rushed along (thinking Mick would have almost finished the gate painting single handed) however, when we arrived there were only the volunteer coordinators looking a little bemused, having been waiting some time. Nevertheless we got organised and had painted half the gate when an hour later the others arrived, having had a complete nightmare of a journey through a lack of geographical and linguistic skills!!
Despite all this, everyone in the team has worked so hard, painting (even through yet another tropical downpour) the gates with both a base and top coat of bright blue. The next group emulsioned a second classroom, whilst a third group finished painting 4 or 5 doors, bannisters and cleaned the staircase from top to toe. Changing rooms eat your heart out!
This evening, the group has had a couple of planning sessions: for both the time we can spend \"interacting\" with the children, as well as planning our journey to Darlat in the Central Highlands for our acclimatisation trek and then our route onwards to the North. Everyone has done some research and sorted out the possibilities for the next part of the challenge.
I have really enjoyed myself so far and the girls have grown in confidence daily. We are all getting on together (so far)and everyone seems to be coping well with the humidity and heat. It was a lot cooler last night, but has rained a lot today. Hopefully everyone can catch up on more sleep tonight as we tend to start quite early each day.
It will be really good to meet all the children tomorrow, the few that have been round each day are very engaging, but definately small for their age. We have spent some of the team money buying some more toys as well as the presents we brought with us. I am sure they will be appreciated, as they seem to have very little. It will also be good to get out of the very busy city and see more of the countryside and people.
Enough for now, I shall wander back to the restaurant to see whether the rest of the group have eventually got some food. It is lovely reading all your messages and to know that you are sharing in our travels. Kathy fairchild

Advertisement



21st July 2004

Mrs F....I waved from the air.....
....as I flew over Vietnam the other day on my way to drink Thailand dry (I mean study the wonderful culture...) Had a quality time in Oz, Ive surprised myself by actually coming home! Anyway glad youre having a great time - if the weather from Phuket heads youre way, then look forward to 100 degrees!! Love, the better-looking son.
26th July 2004

Spanish Adventure
Yo Mrs F! Good to read your messages, and all the other girls (Hello other girls!!). I could make some witty comment about how long it must have taken you to write that message but it would take even longer for you to reply so I'll give it a miss!! How can you be having trouble emailing after my expert tuition?! I've just got back from Spain - 22 hours on the coach!! Had a brilliant time, water parks, theme parks, seedy spanish clubs, beach, sun, oh and music (bit of an afterthought!!) Have come back with sligtly shorter hair after a visit to the the aforementioned club (how dare you suggest alchohol was involved!!). Off to Devon with the lads this weekend and then Ill be working at the Big Sheep, might go to Brighton in the next few days to see the girls from France, otherwise not much else!! Glad to hear you're having a good time and even more glad to hear that you're having to work hard!! Speak to you soon, regards to everyone! From your blatantly far better looking and more intelligent son.....

Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb