Day 3 - HoChiMihn City (Saigon)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
June 25th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 - HoChiMinh City (Saigon)
We picked up two very tired girls and headed to our hotel. We got up this morning to explore the city. It is crazy here. I have never seen so many scooters on the road in my life. Our hotel is along a very busy street and watching the traffic from our balcony is like watching a well choreographed ballet. Taxis, scooters, buses and people weave across the streets with a strange calmness. Horns are blaring but that is to only notify each other of where the other one is. It’s crazy!
So when in HoChiMihn City do as the locals do. We went exploring which meant crossing these streets. The rule is to walk at an even step, give buses and taxis right of way and you can make it across no problem. It actually works great. We had no problem getting from one side of a very busy intersection to another. It almost got to be a challenge. We got pretty good for just wondering around for an hour. It is very hot and humid here. I hope to acclimate soon or I’m shaving my head!
Ted and I took a taxi to the Reunification Palace and let the girls rest some. I’m sure you’ve all remember the picture in your history books where they landed on the roof to rescue Americans during the fall of Saigon. It’s very eerie to see it in person. Everyone here is very friendly and most speak some English. Just in case, bring your language book with you.
We’re off to the airport to our final destination of Da Nang. We’ll be there tonight around 4:00pm (right now it’s 11:30am here, 9:30pm at home). The rest of our group is already there so we’re planning on seeing everyone for dinner.
I’ll write more soon!
o


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Amanda & JessicaAmanda & Jessica
Amanda & Jessica

Enjoying ice cream on a roof top resturant. It was raining at the time.
Uncle HoUncle Ho
Uncle Ho

Statue of Ho Chi Mihn. Around here they call him Uncle Ho.
Boys Playing SoccerBoys Playing Soccer
Boys Playing Soccer

This was taken around 6:00am in the morning.
Cute KidsCute Kids
Cute Kids

These were the little girls that loved to watch Amanda and Jessica.
Making ConcreteMaking Concrete
Making Concrete

This was at the first school. We're making a walkway.
Kids At the Gate of the SchoolKids At the Gate of the School
Kids At the Gate of the School

The local kids were so curious at what all these Americans were doing.


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb