The Long And The Short Of Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 5th 2019
Published: April 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our journey from Halong Bay to Hoi An was certainly efficient but no less of a malarkey. It started with torrential rain requiring us to don hastily-distributed rain macs as we transferred from our Halong Bay vessel. Then a coach to some anonymous motorway service station, a change of vehicle then off to Noi Bai Airport for a flight to Da Nang and yet another van for the connection to the Silk Village Hotel in Hoi An.

Like I said, a malarkey but done without any significant issues or ’help I’m confused’ moments. Phew!

The resort in Hoi An is very smart. An exotic leafy enclave that's hidden away from the hurly-burly outside. Like an imperial colony from yesteryear; all French shutters and manicured lawns. Yet, it’s only a 10-minute drive to Hoi An’s old town.

Our room is enormous with a bed; I don’t even know how to designate. Is it an Emperor or even a Caesar? Who knows? But with a well-directed flow of chilled air from the air con it made for a spacious and refreshing night’s kip after yet another hectic day of Vietnamese travel.

Breakfast at the Silk Village is an al fresco affair under a colonial-style covered veranda. You can enjoy a gentle scirocco while consuming your cooked-to-order omelette. This particular service is offered almost universally in southeast Asia. It makes up for the dreadful quality sausages and bacon they try to sneak under the radar. And of course, the surfeit of fruit that they try to pass off as food. As every right-minded person knows, fruit is not a meal in itself. It’s more a sort of sweet salad to be scraped to the side of your plate like any other piece of lettuce, or similar. However, I’m sure I can find a good breakfast here with a little imagination.

So then, we were off to Hoi An. We each have a specific mission, all to make the most of Hoi An’s unique USP, its vast amount of bespoke tailors.

I wanted my favourite blazer copied a couple of times. Carolyn wants a recreation of a favourite dress that is well past its best. And Mark has dreamt up a three-piece suit so exotic it would make Elton John’s pyjamas look positively drab. The challenge is to get this completed expediently while still getting a bit of tourism under our belts.

We soon found our favoured suppliers and once the measurements had been taken, textiles selected, and deposits paid we headed to Hoi An’s very pretty old town.

We enjoyed views of the river, the Japanese bridge and wandered through streets brimming with shops all selling tourist tat. Be in no doubt, Hoi An, despite its heritage, is almost wholly designed to extract the sightseer dollar. You won’t struggle to find an ATM here. To get the extra dosh you'll need to buy more made to measure clothing or a carved wooden thingy.

By now, it was midday, and the mercury had hit 31 degrees. Time to get a taxi and repair to the hotel to have a splash in the pool!

So, after a few hours R&R we ventured out into the steamy night. The first task being for Presh to have an initial fitting of his amazing suit of many colours. Yes, you read that right. A virtually finished suit was made in less than 6 hours! And talk about being pleased as punch. Apparently, it fitted like a bespoke suit, which, you’ll agree, is lucky!

We wandered the old town oohing and ahhing at the lanterns that festoon the streets and alleys. We floated a candle on the river, and each made a wish before letting the currents take the flickering light to who knows where. Finally, we enjoyed a well-priced and tasty dinner in the Rice Drum restaurant with several beers to wash it down, of course.

Finally, we caught a taxi back to the hotel; it’s an early start tomorrow as we go to see the ancient temple of My Son...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Venerable Vietnamese LadyVenerable Vietnamese Lady
Venerable Vietnamese Lady

Probably seen the best and worst of this amazing country
Suit FittingSuit Fitting
Suit Fitting

Maybe a little short in the arms?
Bath with a viewBath with a view
Bath with a view

And that’s not one-way glass!


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb