Happy Moon Festival


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
September 19th 2010
Published: September 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Happy Lunar Half YearHappy Lunar Half YearHappy Lunar Half Year

These are the moon cakes that everyone goes crazy about at this time of year.
Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay in writing, life has suddenly got very busy here. Ok, to be more accurate - suddenly got very busy for me. Yes that's right, the school holidays have finished and so therefore has the time for sitting on my bum in our lovely apartment watching Star Movies. Contrary to popular belief the summer hols is usually spent partially getting ready for the new school year (yes really!), but you conna do that so much when starting a new job. So consequently the last 6 weeks have been manic - really good, but really tiring! My routine has changed somewhat from the 8am commute round the ring road, but only in such that at 6:45am each morning I now sit on the back of my friend's motorcycle in the sunshine sporting my shiny new helmet. The traffic is just as heavy but with less indicators being used and more people cutting each other up, but all very slowly and politely!

So seen as the only way to explore this city properly is by bike, Mr Moss has finally made his carefully pondered decision and purchased a new toy in the form of a 1963
The new lotThe new lotThe new lot

Mostly Vietnamese; some Korean; two Japanese. All excellent English speakers - phew
Lambretta. Have a look at the before and after piccies later on -our bike won't be finished for another 2 or 3 weeks but it's going to look pretty much like the 'after' photo when complete. Now we just need a union jack helmet each to really complete the look and turn a few heads. Trouble those would also be the heads of the police who would probably take one look at us, think "chhh chiiing!" and pull us over.... hmmm, maybe we'll wait till we come back for that one.

Well, for a change we don't have that many piccies to add on. I'm afraid our guest stars featuring this time would have been Mr and Mrs Clohessy, but sadly they have had to postpone their trip, so you'll have to wait for that installment which will be worth waiting for I'm sure :o)

In the meantime we have been booking up some holidays for ourselves, eating out with lots of new teacher folk and some of their non-teacher partners. Chris is now starting to rather like the idea of being a house-husband having heard the tales from the other side! We're still trying to learn Vietnamese
The OMG 'before' The OMG 'before' The OMG 'before'

Yes we're really buying this thing...
(trying being the operative word - Chris seems to remember random words like tortoise..? and me I can hardly rememeber anything consistently but I'm getting the hang of the accent which is getting me understood at last) And of course we're keeping up with the swinging, dancing that is... Well of course Chris has to now, that's the deal with buying the motorbike you see ;o)

The end of next week is Moon Festival. I will have to wear the tradition aodai dress to work and both of us have been inundated with Moon Cakes for the last two weeks. Great you may think... until you take a bite of the sweet cake and discover an unwelcome guest in the form of pork and a whole egg. Uggh. Trying to get rid of as many as possible so sorry about that Judy, Roy, Keith and Lynda!!

Well, better be off. Michelle (Tien) is coming round to give us another lesson and teach us how to make spring rolls again, mmmm.

Much love, as always,
Chris and Lucy (current aliases - Ms Luty Victory Moss and Our Dear Mr Christopher)



Hello All,

Mr Cwiss
Cool BritanniaCool BritanniaCool Britannia

This is what it should end up like after.
here for a quick hello. It's sunday night and we've just finished tea (spring rolls) as made by our own fair hands, with a little help from Michelle our tutor. By the time we get home the recipe and technique will be perfected, so get ready to be bored by eastern themed dinner parties. It's been fairly uneventful I suppose of late but Vietnam is starting to feel like home now. Now and then you have to sort of pinch yourself to remind yourself where we're living our lives these days!

Last night was fun - we went out with a load of people from Lucy's work - generally all seem to be female but all us 'other halves' tag along and had a good laugh last night. We went to a lovely riverside restaurant for food and cocktails then on to a bar which happily was showing the Premier League for all the previously mentioned other halves.

It was nice to come back to england albeit extremely briefly - never again will the 2 night trip be done as I cannot cope with jetlag well enough! Sorry to all those who i didn't manage to seethis time
MmmmmmMmmmmmMmmmmm

Perfecting my spring rolling technique
but I will be back in November and may even have the time to watch some of the Vale's domination of League 2 at Vale Park hopefully.

Work is OK, still very busy but I think i feel more on top of things now, even if the days are not getting any shorter. The weather here is crazy recently too - still hot (mid 30's) most days but you can usually assume that at about 3.30pm every day there will be a huge downpour. Last thursday was particuarly spectaular with lightning every 20 seconds for about 3 hours. Took Lucy 90 minutes to get home from work which is usually a 25 minute trip, needless to say she wasn't a happy bunny!

We've been busy planning lots of getaways for future months in the last few days - so far we've booked up to go to Singapore next March, Hoi An for Lucy's birthday in December, Hanoi in November for my dad's visit, HaLong Bay in October and we're looking into what we can do for Wrighty's visit for Christmas and New Year, which will probably be spent at the beach in Nha Trang. We've had the feeling
Some touristy shotsSome touristy shotsSome touristy shots

Main post office
that time could slip by and we'll be coming home before we know it, so we're setting the dates now!

Lucy's told you about the exciting Lambretta news! It's going to be like waiting for Christmas for it to be ready but I'm very excited about it. Work pay for my taxi to work so I don't need to rely on it in the rush hour (thankfully) but it's going to be great buzzing around Quadrophenia style!

Anyway, that's all for now folks, see you soon.

Mr Cwiss and Miss Lucy
x


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Inside the post officeInside the post office
Inside the post office

Beautiful French colonial building maintained on the inside and out
Notre Damne CathedralNotre Damne Cathedral
Notre Damne Cathedral

4 services each Sunday as it is so popular (and just about to chuck it down by the looks of the clouds)
Spotting Big Stuff on BikesSpotting Big Stuff on Bikes
Spotting Big Stuff on Bikes

Our favourite hobby when out and about.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb