Heartache and Heatstroke in Ho Chi Minh City


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
March 25th 2006
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So today we decided to explore Ho Chi Minh City. Starting at the Thai Binh markets we were amazed at the quality of the produce compared to markets that we had visited in Cambodia - the fruit looked great and the fish were still swimming in their buckets!

From there we did a loop through the tree-lined streets to admire some of the colourful architecture before crossing over to the Ben Thanh market. Although very touristy it was cool to see all the handicrafts and cheesy souvenirs and we picked up some tasty gummy lollies on our way out.

We then walked past the Mariamman Hindu temple and through the park to the Reunification Palace which was great. It's been left in the same state it was in when the Viet Cong troops stormed it in 1975 - so its a mix of old chinese paintings and vases and true 70s chic - fantastic! We enjoyed wandering the different floors and taking stupid pictures of Corb with the bust of Ho Chi Minh and other random stuff.

For lunch we couldnt find the place we had planned to go to so instead ended up at Quan An Ngon not far from the palace and it was FANTASTIC! We had possibly one of the best meals we have had so far on the trip and finished it off with black sticky rice and coconut cream with Dragonfruit which was just divine. We are totally going back there, can't wait.

We then visited the War Remnants Museum which was heart-wrenching in the same vein of S-21 in Phnom Penh. It had many photos of dead people on the sides of roads and the deformities that have occured as a result of the use of Chemicals during the war. It was highly one sided and basically stated that the Americans came here to kill off all the Vietnamese because they were inferior, but was nonetheless a great advertisement against war in any shape or form.

Walking past the glorious Notre Dame Cathedral and the very grand Central Post Office we headed through the Dong Khoi district to the waterfront. Whilst not exactly picturesque with all the huge steamers going to and fro it was pleasant with a nice breeze off the water.

We finished off our day with some tasty fruit shakes and an alright dinner (don't think much will live up to lunch) and then booked our Mekong Delta tour for tomorrrow. A great first day in Vietnam!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb