Vexing Visas


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
March 24th 2006
Published: March 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we've made it to Vietnam!

The last couple of days, despite being a whole heap of fun in Phnom Penh were marred by the stress and anxiety of trying to get our Vietnam visas. We had thought that it would be a fairly simple procedure but upon filling out the forms and handing over the cash we were told that due to a special "ceremony" we would only be permitted to stay 17 days (until the 10th) in Vietnam, but would have to pay the same one month fee.

Feeling that something was amiss we tried several travel agents and were told a whole heap of different stories and offered a whole heap of outrageous prices. Thankfully we found one lady, who after a number of phone calls to and fro was able to confirm a 30 day visa at a reasonable cost. Phew.

So this morning we set off at the crack of dawn (almost) on board our bus to Moc Bai and the Vietnam Border. Seemingly smooth we were hassled by the usual barrage of $1 men at the border who attempt to charge for pointless services. Making our way through these guys we successfully got our visas stamped with a one month stay and with a little coercion got through relatively unscathed.

Whilst waiting for the bus on the other side we spoke to the other travellers on the bus and found out that they too had been told different versions of the same story, with different dates and excuses. From what we gathered, something was going down with visas issued in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, and it appears ours was sent to another province to be issued.

Anyway, we're here and we're happy (and full of spicy beef stew). Good Luck to anyone else who has similar issues and we'll keep you posted of anything we hear on the matter.

Vietnam here we come!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb